Getting message "can't resolve host name" when connecting DB by ethernet

Tore567

Reaction score
Can anybody help me with this. I was really glad of all the other assistance I got regarding my other problems.. Now I've managed to connect up my drembox via crossover cable in the days since I last visited. Would be grateful if anyone could help me over this hurdle. I'm sure all the other info regarding IP, Subnet mask, gateway was intered correctly, as the manual specified.. Can anyone help me around this, what "Can't resove host name" means, when I try for software update over the NET.. this message comes up on the bottom with the box containing the updates remaining empty.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
It means that either your 'router' address is incorrect in the DB, the DNS is incorrect, or the DNS server is down or otherwise trashed.

It is the DNS (Domain Name System) servers job to maintain a hierarchical name system for domains and IP addresses that includes a distributed and scalable database.

'Cant resolve host name' means it either can't get there, or when it does it just finds a load of mashed potato.

Do you know the LAN-side IP of your PC? Is your PC acting as the router, or do you have a stand-alone router? If the former, have you enabled ICS (Internet connection Sharing) in Windows (or whatever you're using)?

Maybe your firewall is locked down too tight?

STICK

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Tore,

All that Stick says is correct and should be checked.

Just to help a bit further here is how I have my Dreambox communication panel set. Your IP addresses may be different but will follow much the same pattern.

Make sure the Cmmunications panel in the Dreambox is set in a similar way to the following example:-

IP 192.168.0.24 (Dreambox IP)
DHCP (Un-checked)
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Type LAN
Nameserver 192.168.0.1 (IP of Router or PC)
Gateway 192.168.0.1 (IP of Router or PC again)
Enable Network x (Checked)
Port 80

These are my settings but will be similar to yours even though you use Internet connection sharing on you PC. The netmask will vary depending on what IP you use for the Dreambox (the one shown is fairly standard and used to be hard coded into many images).

So, to summarise;
Check Internet Connection Sharing on the PC (run wizard again).
Check Communications panel in Dreambox (Menu, Settings, Expert Settings, Communications).
Check Firewall is not blocking Dreambox access.

Let's know how you get on?

73 & good luck.

Tore567

Reaction score
Want to thank everyone for the help yesterday.. All is working OK now.. Last night after reading the replies I followed as you suggested td03-5. It turned out I had the wrong DB info down. Was great to see it finally spring into life. So thanks again for that!

I've also installed a stick. A 256 MB JetFlash. As it is I've just presently plugged it into the DB usb port. I've really no idea how to access the memory of the stick. But I got it going on the advice of the form regarding image storage. I've also downloaded "DreamBox Edit" Seems like a great program, as it allows you to transfer files directly to the DB.

Could anyone give me advice regarding accessing the stick memory on the dreambox? And where to get "mary's keys" Are these the best for unscrambling channels? At present I've reserected a 2 meter center fed dish which I'm using on Sirius to receive Pro tv international. I've really fixed up the dish for the Swedish package -but can only get best reception on Thor.

Would anyone know if Pro conema, pro tv, acasa, can be received at present with the DB. Details on the DB showed they were using "power vu" If anyone can give me info I would dearly appreciate it, as the wife is Romanian and misses tv back there. Again thanks very much for setting me straight yesterday.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Tore,

Glad you've got it working. Well done!
The best way to use a USB stick is for multiboot using FlashWizard 5.0 as the multiboot manager.

As for P*Vu I have not seen a Dreambox emu that opens channels using it, unless someone else knows better?

Ask if you need help with multiboot and I'll point you to a thread (which I can't at the moment remember the title of), where I've recently helped someone else set up multiboot.
Just checked, the thread to look at is called 'Var 97 percent Full' and was posted by 'rhurbarb' my reply 3 days ago describes how to setup multiboot.
DreamBoxEdit is indeed good for transferring sat settings etc (including favourites lists) between images.
When using FW5.0 to install images to multiboot , FW5.0 will automatically copy all the settings from the active image to the new image as it installs it. You can then boot and use the new image straight away with all settings already there, it's great!

Not sure what image you're using but many have internet download of latest emus and k*ys (Hydra Phoenix/Poseidon, Gemini 106/105, DBF Revolutions 3.1, Trillenium v 1 .....). Mary's are a download on the Hydra images.

Hope this helps?

73 & good luck.