Getting started I need help Rolf

englishman64

Reaction score
After the demise of On Digital I'm looking at getting a european system.
I already have 2 dishes set up from the old analogue days.
1 pointing at 1 Deg West and 1 pointing at the sky astra sat.
Quest 1 - Are these the best 2 satellites to point at bearing in mind I'm looking to watch premiership footy and recent movies in english.
I know I will need a decoder, a cam, a card and i think a lnb.
I'm assuming it doesnt really matter what decoder i get but it seems the cam and card are the key issues.
So the quest for Rolf is
Do we know which of the phase II encryptions will be hacked.
Can you advise on the cam and card to get.
I also have another question.
Do you get differnet channels depending on the cam.
IE do you get different channels on seca, conex, viaccess etc
Cheers in advance

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Blurry Hell Englishman, that's a lot of questions. :) Unfortunately some of them will be better answered by other members.

The receiver you buy will be the making of the system and not incidental, some of them have embedded CAMs, the Humax 5400z and Hyundai HSS1000irci are two of the receivers commonly used and they can can be flashed to decrypt multiple systems. There are better receivers around from a technical standpoint, the Echostar springs to mind, but you will probably need to buy a CAM or CAMs to make things swing. you may also decide to go for the motorised option, if you are looking at a larger dish size, then you may want a receiver which has a conventional positioner other than DiseqC.

The CAMs required will vary depending on what you want to watch, so that's waht you need to sort out first. I don't know which sats and channels are good for football, but I know that there are a couple of members who have posted details of various information sites.

As for which version 2 encryptions are likely to be hacked ...............................................................................

........................................Who knows. :)

Rolf