Getting the pole straight

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
I read with interest all the how to guides and how important it is to have a totally straight mounting pole. My question is, how can I make sure the pole (mounted to the wall) is dead straight when I am drilling the holes for a T&K bracket. I am scared I will drill them slightly off and end up with a less than straight pole. Fellas is there an easy way of doing it?

Cheers for any replies to a newbie like myself

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With T&K brackets, you put the bottom one up first, tighten up so that it can still be moved by tapping with a hammer, then take a line upwards with a plumb line or spirit level and place the top bracket. You should then have relatively little adjustment to make once the pole is added.

It can be done with the top bracket first as well, whichever you feel more comfortable with.

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
Ok thanks for that. I didn't realise you could adjust them a little after they are up. I am really quite looking forward to the setting up!

I have not bought the motor, lnb or dish yet, can you or anyone recommend any? I hear 1W is a good bird to point at but currently trying to decide if its worth possibly annoying the neighbours for with a 90cm dish instead of an 80. Will 80 just do it with a top quality LNB??

I have a fortec star 5100 plus. I was sold it on the al7bar potential. I can't really say how good the reciever is picture wise (on a minidish) as I have nothing else to compare it with, only the audio stage out is awful quality, its much better using the optical out. I guess thats what you get with cheaper recievers (I paid £145) I almost bought the Techomate and kind of regret not doing so.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It depends on where you are as to what size dish is required for which satellites, but it is generally better to get the biggest dish you can realistically put up a 90cm doesn't require planning consent and probably the safe maximum for a DiseqC motor.

Have a look in this forum for threads discussing motors.

radtv

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
Hi

I have just put a 80cm dish up on a 2 mtr pole, using T&K brackets, (Tun Wells Area) and got a letter from the local council telling me that I now need to take down my mini dish, as I am not allowed to have two dishes even though the mini dish is hidden!

Jessjosh

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
How did they see it, was it reported?

Just tell them that it's gone and if necessary bolt it on to your wheelbarrow. :)

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
jessjosh said:
I have just put a 80cm dish up on a 2 mtr pole, using T&K brackets, (Tun Wells Area) and got a letter from the local council telling me that I now need to take down my mini dish, as I am not allowed to have two dishes even though the mini dish is hidden!
Why don't you get a digiglobe. They can't complain about your mounting a lamp! :-righton (It does actually light if you want!)

Links to pictures:
http://www.simsatellite.com/bilder/antennen/18-digiglobe.jpg
http://www.simsatellite.com/bilder/antennen/16-digiglobe.jpg