Gibertini 100 vs 125 cm

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Have a Gibertini 100 cm and planning on an upgrade to a 125 to increase the signal from weak satellites like the Astra 2d.The difference in gain is 2dB,but what does this 2dB difference mean practically?What will happen to the signal strenght?Experiences anyone?!?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
2dB is immaterial if the signals wanted are 2.2dB from threshold

1 to 1.2m is an increase of 44%, not really enough to guarantee 2dB (but its close !)

I would ask your neighbours (the ones that have a 1.2m dish) and see if they can get the elusive channels in your quest for the Holy Grail)

If you give your location it may be possible to work out from present knowledge

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Thank's for answering both of you!Skewing the lnb wouldn't work for me because I have a motorised DISEqC system.About the 2d reception now:
clear picture in the afternoon with peaks at 67% pic quality signal strength
about 60%.Late in the evening or if bad weather comes around pixels but I still have picture(40-45% pic quality).If it's late in the evening and also raining the screen is filled with pixels but almost never a black screen.
I use a MTI ap8 t2 lnb.Do you think it would be a stupid investment to upgrade from Gibertini 100 to a 125 or is there a chance that it would cure my 2d reception problems?!?
And guys,my opinion is that the 2d signal has become weaker the last couple of months,am I wrong?
Any help or opinions appreciated!

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
what country are you in ?

also with that amount of loss (not too much), i would guess the 25 cm would fix it,
especially as a gilbertini offers more than a standard 25cm increase

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
indios_se said:
what country are you in ?

also with that amount of loss (not too much), i would guess the 25 cm would fix it,
especially as a gilbertini offers more than a standard 25cm increase
My location is south east Sweden,I agree about the increse,if you calculate and compare the outside dimensions of the two dishes it would be an area increase of 66%

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
fascinating, which town are you in ? this actually probably shows how effective
these high performance dishes are.
i'm also interested in why you can't adjust your lnb, if your skew isnt accurate, it will rapidly effect perfomance, in fact an accurate skew would probably fix the problem.
i find with 0.5cm either side and i almost lose 2d here in västmanland

regards
Rich
http://connect.to/skysweden

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
indios_se said:
fascinating, which town are you in ? this actually probably shows how effective
these high performance dishes are.
i'm also interested in why you can't adjust your lnb, if your skew isnt accurate, it will rapidly effect perfomance, in fact an accurate skew would probably fix the problem.
i find with 0.5cm either side and i almost lose 2d here in västmanland

regards
Rich
http://come.to/skysweden
I'm between Kalmar,Vaxjo,Karlskrona,getting 2d here isn't easy at all compared to Stockholm you know.I didn't think it was neccesary to adjust the lnb skew on a motorised offset dish because the whole dish gets tilted?!? But I think i tried to do it a couple of
months ago but if i remember right it didn't help me!

Cheers

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
yes dish tilt correctly would make up for it. i'm aware of it not being easy, see my thorough research on my site below. i can pretty much estimate that the skew is pretty much right anyway judging by the location and size of dish. do you get a sniff of itv2, i presume you might not even see it, or get it now and again, as this is dead hard to get because of the side lobe effecting the area.

also don't be too hard on stockholm, the reason you get 2d at all with that size dish
is because of the signal boost over stockholm, if it was a normal 2d signal it would be more like 2 metres and not 1!.

:)
Rich
http://connect.to/skysweden

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Vertical transponders are all dead for me,doesn't matter because I have no sky box so I couldn't watch ITV 2 anyway.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
By the way I spent an hour on the ladder this afternoon to make a test.
Connected the lnb directly to the reciever just to see how much signal loss there was in the DISEqC-motor,and the answer is: no loss at all !!!
This surprised me a lot because I had expected it to be at least a couple of percent better signal whitout the motor since Rolf told me a couple of weeks ago that you could lose at least 5 % in a DISEqC switch.
I only tested on Astra 2d 10.773 H and 10.804 H so maybe there can be more losses on higher frequences or on vertical transponders.
Just thought this could be useful info for some of you!

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Correct me if i am wrong but in the old days a polarizer or ferotor of some kind was a MUST with a motorized system as the signal was very weak at the time.

Seems the whole market have lost competence today, people don't even know what a polarizer is today, most of them anyway.....

Why isn't there any polarizers today you can buy? what happened to the whole market, everything seems so budget oriented today and Sky Digital killed the last few retailers making a living on selling motorized systems, there are a few retailers left but most of them went under.

I don't really understand the whole issue that you don't need a polarizer, you NEED to skew the polarization over the clark belt, STAB says you don't need one as the mount is tilted when it's moved, yes but all polar mounts have always tilted when you have moved the dish, that is not special for STAB motor or any other DiSeqC motors.....

People today say there is insertion loss in a polarizer, so what? the satellite signals are stronger than ever compared to when i used to have my 2 meter dishes and EIRPs down to 38dBW.

Without polarizer you need to manually adjust the skew, how old isn't that? and a good polarizer like the Chaparall Polarotor had a insertion loss of maximum 0.2dB, neglible!!

SMW, Chaparall doesn't make them any more, DBS market like Sky Digital and Canal Digital and all services killed the market for good.