Gibertini feedhorn improving reception

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28E 19E on 120cm Gibertini homemade sidemount with Gibertini feedhorn, Inverto C120. 5E 1W on 85cm triax. Digiality VC-CI 204 and Triax dvb-65s receivers. Matrix-cam not working. Swedish Canaldigital "local", Norwegian Viasat.
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Hi all!
I am new to this forum, seems like a good place with a lot of users!
I have bought a new Gibertini 150 cm dish.
This dish is going to be used in Norway, Telemark to receive Astra2d and hope fully some other weak satellites.
Yesterday i ordered a Gibertini C120 feedhorn which is expected to raise the gain.
The lnb im going to use (for now) is a C120 MTI quattro 0.6dB ap84-tw, running this through a diesqc-switch, I got the lnb for 10 pounds othervise i would have chosen another twin or quad. In my current situation i like it cheap... And probably will only be watching Astra 2d and Extreme sports which means i will be using 2 outputs from the lnb.
Just wondering which gains can i expect with the matched feedhorn? Compared to the use of a universal lnb.
Anyone using this feed on the forum?

Look at the feed here: www.hisat.com go to dish/lnb/spares
Also a picture from Gibertini.

I have tried the Astra 2d forum but i think that more people are here.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the LNB is indeed a Quattro, then you need to run it into a multiswitch first, this will combine the four different outputs (Horizontal High and low, Vertical High and low) into a number of universal outputs, depending on which switch you use

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Are you using a conventional lnbf on the Gibertini 150 now?!?

If you do it would be very interesting if you could do a comparsion with the feedhorn you have ordered.

I am currently using a Gibertini 100 here in Sweden but I don't have a matched feedhorn for it.

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28E 19E on 120cm Gibertini homemade sidemount with Gibertini feedhorn, Inverto C120. 5E 1W on 85cm triax. Digiality VC-CI 204 and Triax dvb-65s receivers. Matrix-cam not working. Swedish Canaldigital "local", Norwegian Viasat.
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
The dish has not arrived yet!
I am very excited about this.
Of course am I going to compare with a standard universal, it will be very interesting.
There is one user on the astra2d forum, he is using channelmaster feed.
I will post about this christmas because i am living in swededn right now and the dish is going to my other home in Norway.
A universal-lnb usually has a f/d of 0.6 and gibertini has 0.66 so this should make a difference.

The lnb i got was only because its a cheap(10£) solution for testing.
Later i will get some other lnb.

steffan_st said:
Are you using a conventional lnbf on the Gibertini 150 now?!?

If you do it would be very interesting if you could do a comparsion with the feedhorn you have ordered.

I am currently using a Gibertini 100 here in Sweden but I don't have a matched feedhorn for it.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
The Channel Master feed is not suitable for your setup,Channel Master f/d is 0.6.

There is also another solution if you are a handyman,you can cut the feed off a cheap lnbf and attach it to the new feed that you have ordered.

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
steffan_st said:
The Channel Master feed is not suitable for your setup,Channel Master f/d is 0.6.

There is also another solution if you are a handyman,you can cut the feed off a cheap lnbf and attach it to the new feed that you have ordered.

Is there a certain total-length or how do you make them good?

I know that some parts of the lnb have very small tolerances because of the wavelength. Do you know of any guiding webpage where i can read about it?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
steffan_st said:

I wouldn't recommend that really as i had my Sharp 0.4 LNB die because of moisture getting inside the LNB.

I have spoken to some other people who had their LNBs die like mine when they modified it for C120.

And the difference are neglible between the LNBs, they perform the same, they just perform different in certain frequency bands.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
steffo78 said:

I know that some parts of the lnb have very small tolerances because of the wavelength. Do you know of any guiding webpage where i can read about it?

If you want to, you can buy a Inverto C120 LNB from me, they are not available on the market freely as the demand isn't that high for C120 but i have on order from Inverto 200 pcz of this LNB, it is simply the best they say and the price is pretty good, 25-30 euro.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
steffan_st said:
The Channel Master feed is not suitable for your setup,Channel Master f/d is 0.6..

This is quite wrong, the ChannelMaster is a perfect match for a Gibertini 1.5m dish and I have installed a dish with this combination, which works very well indeed. It is slightly better than the Gibertini feedhorn which is pictured in the post above.
The slight difference is probably due to the better casting on the ChannelMaster, which is a higher priced product.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
steffo78 said:

Have shortened some of the lnbf:s but there wasn't any change of the results.

Have never cared about the tolerances and/or wavelenght,have had very good practical results (better rainmargin e.t.c.) with the conversions I have made and that is what counts!

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Likvid said:
I wouldn't recommend that really as i had my Sharp 0.4 LNB die because of moisture getting inside the LNB.

I have spoken to some other people who had their LNBs die like mine when they modified it for C120.

And the difference are neglible between the LNBs, they perform the same, they just perform different in certain frequency bands.

You should have used an o-ring or silicone to prevent moist,that makes it as waterproof as any lnb+feed or lnbf!

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
snap said:
This is quite wrong, the ChannelMaster is a perfect match for a Gibertini 1.5m dish and I have installed a dish with this combination, which works very well indeed. It is slightly better than the Gibertini feedhorn which is pictured in the post above.
The slight difference is probably due to the better casting on the ChannelMaster, which is a higher priced product.

Now this is interesting!

Have you compared at different freqencies?

There is 2 different Channel Master feedhorns,which one did you use for the installation?

Never believed the "Gibertini" feed should be very good,in my opinion it hasn't got enough relectors.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
The ChannelMaster feedhorn is the offset one in the picture. There isn't much difference between this and the Gibertini, except (this is from memory) higher frequencies as used by Sky Movies are better on the CM and I get the feeling that vertical lower ones are also better. Horizontal low is identical, that is BBC TPs of 10773 and 10803. This is an old picture- current ones are slightly different.
I agree that the Gibertini is a bit cheaply made. In both cases on a Gibertini dish the best point of focus is right back in the mount as far as it will go, implying that there is a slight F/D mismatch on both feedhorns.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Forgive me for barging in, but shouldn't the feedhorn be included with the dish? No one knows the antenna design better than the manufacturer himself, and unless the dish is meant to accept any standard type of universal LNBF, the dish manufacturer (such as Channel Master) will know to ship a perfect matching feedhorn with the dish.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I couldn't agree more- they are just being tight- fisted not to do so. There are only a few manufacturers such as Prodelin who include one, and you can choose which type. ChannelMaster don't, which I can't understand at all. This has resulted in installers fitting cheap and nasty Sharp LNB's on 1.8m dishes round here in Madrid, which work very badly owing to the feed mis-match.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
But those manufacters who decide not to include a feedhorn, surely it must be because their dishes are already designed to a universal standard which the LNBFs must also conform to. Are you saying that there are manufacturers out there are who produce non-standard dishes and who are not bothered to manufacture matching feedhorns to go with them?

I have a 1.80 m Channel Master dish that came with its own feedhorn. This leads me to conclude that their dish is slightly different. In fact, I was going to replace it once with one I saw from Swedish Microwave, thinking it might improve things a little bit, but when I asked SMW about it, they advised me not to, told me to stick with the original feed that came with the dish, since "the feedhorn should always be considered part of the antenna design", as they put it.

With regard to Channel Master, I'm not sure that you're correct in saying that they don't supply feedhorns. Like I said, mine was included! :) (I also remember seeing them being sold in the shops separately, although I admit this was all some time ago!)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Don't know about Channel Master as they don't exist anymore, but with Andrew who bought Channel Master supplies feedhorns separate from their dishes, as they have 5 different models of feedhorns you need to specify which feed you want.

However the dish comes without feed so it is up to the customer if he wants to order a matching feed or not.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Hitchcock said:
With regard to Channel Master, I'm not sure that you're correct in saying that they don't supply feedhorns. Like I said, mine was included! :) (I also remember seeing them being sold in the shops separately, although I admit this was all some time ago!)

As i said you need to order the feed as well as it comes separate from the dish.

If you order a Andrew 1.8M dish today you won't get any feed, you just get the dish, feedholder and clamp.

So you need to order the feed separately as there are 5 different feeds for this antenna Andrew doesn't supply it with the dish.

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Very interesting read here!
Learning a lot about this.

I found that SMW also makes feedhorn (which hitchcock already posted) that have f/d up to 0.65, anyone tried their horns? XM-601 or XM-351 C120

Also Chapparral have one but WR-75 f/d 0.6-0.9

Likvid: I might contact you later about the lnb but for now im going to experiment away when i get the dish up, with the gear i have.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hitchcock said:
Actually what I meant was it is not usually included in the dish price and you have to order it separately. A good dealer would understand what your needs were and sell you the right one- but you have to find a good dealer.
Andrew Corporation are doing quite well in making the old ChannelMaster products available, but they are not cheap.