givin it another go

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
got the next few days off, using up annual leave i didnt use last year (how i managed that i dunno, seemd like i was never there *shrug*) so i'm planning to go up the roof with the bloomin dish tomorrow or friday, got a sat meter that works this time, a receiver i knwo for sure works, cos its currently happily chugging along with the signal from astra2, getting a higher signal quality than my sky box.

i'm still a wee bit wary about one of the trees possibly being in my way, but i'm gonna start with the sats i *know* i can get, which are astra, hotbird, and astra2, then work my way west, till i find 1 west, or thereabouts, before i think about adding the motor to the equation.

i igure i might as wel have something runnign as a motorised dish thats picking up background noise.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good girl - take it slow and steady and work one sat along the arc at a time. mark the dish bolts with a pencil once you have something locked , as that will give you a starting point if the dish falls over, gets blown round etc.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
dont forget to adjust the dish elevation when you move the dish around.

TWAG

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
plan to make a couple of gouges in the metal as well as paint some lines when i get it aligned properly, so that i'm 100% sure of being able to find the alignnment again
yeah, i knwo about changing the elevation, and know what the elevations should be for my location for the sats i'm trying to find by hand, 28e, 19e, 13e and 1w

sats i'm most likely to watch as 19e and 13e, so, if it comes to it and i cant get 1w to align the motor, i'll just ebay the motor and get a monoblock for those two.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
good luck and keep us posted

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just go up a tad as you track westwards towards 1W.Its probably less than half an inch from 19E - 13E.

Highly technical stuff here! :D

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
highly techinical,and very efficient as well ;-)

TWAG

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive never used anything more than a compass to set my dished up (to get the approximate direction when thery have blown over) I dont hold with all this exact measurements - just wave the dish around a bit until you get a signal. Then see if you have found the right satellite! :D It does go wrong occasionally - did end up watching 28E shopping channels once instead of the 26E Arabics I was expecting....... :D :D :-ohmy

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
was up the roof for about an hour and a half today, got the bracket up, and vertical on the third go. lashed round the chimney, i know i know, its not the best solution, but it's better than just leaivn it lying, and since its the only place to put it....

dish isnt up yet, i've decided i'll do that tomorrow when i have an extra pair of eyes, someone to watch the receiver, as well as me watching the sat meter i got

hopefully this time tomorrow i'll have a working installation.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
georgia_grrl

you think you might have problems in the west cos of the trees?
I'll just wait and see how you tackle it cos I think i'll have similar problem but in the east. <g>

-r

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Keep on trying! Here is a song I wrote especially for you :D (sort of)

Georgia......georgia..........the whole day through
Just an old sweet song.....keeps georgia on my mind

I said now, georgia.....georgia......a song of you
1 West comes as sweet and clear.....as moonlight through the pines

Other sats reach out to me.......other forums smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams i see.......the road leads back to you

I said, georgia........ georgia......... no pace i find

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
georgia_grrl said:
dish isnt up yet, i've decided i'll do that tomorrow when i have an extra pair of eyes, someone to watch the receiver, as well as me watching the sat meter i got

hopefully this time tomorrow i'll have a working installation.
Use mobile phones between you georgia, don't want to wake the neighbours on a Sunday.:)

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
no luck yet, been up the roof since ~10am, with no joy, the dish is mounted, attached to the motor now, as i figured i might as well put it all up the roof to save me hauling it up later, and i'm gonna tack the cable to the wall, and probably call local sat installer out for a "realignment".

probably easier than spending another freezing cold day up there.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
georgia_grrl said:
probably call local sat installer out for a "realignment".

probably easier than spending another freezing cold day up there.

Only use an installer that has been recommended, there are an awful lot of sat cowboys out there!!!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
georgia_grrl said:
anyone recommend an installer in the glasgow area (cumbernauld)

As I offered before I am in your neck-of-the-woods and will try and help as much as I can.

Just PM me your address and I'll see what I can do.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If you want an installer try this list...

h**p://www.tv-installers.com/Newcounties/Glasgow/glasgow.htm

I know Flight can install a motorised systems - no idea what they charge if you've done part of the work.