Just Sharing This Gmail users targeted in huge phishing scam

A

Archive-8

Millions of Gmail users are thought to have been targeted in a major phishing attack spread via emails from genuine friends and acquaintances.

Large numbers of people reported they had been hacked after receiving an email from a known contact asking them to open a link to what appeared to be a Google document page.

Many of those who clicked through unwittingly allowed hackers to take control of their accounts, including giving access to their email and address books and allowing the scam to be spread onwards.

Gmail said that it had taken action to remove the faked pages and had added extra security features to stop the hackers after it was made aware of the major phishing attack.

Security experts reported that those targeted had been asked to click a link and were then prompted to give permissions to an app claiming to be Google Documents but which was in fact a faked page.

Anyone who was taken in allowed the scammers access to all of their Google accounts, including Gmail and Google Documents.

In a statement, Google said anyone who received a suspicious email with a link to a Google Document should not open it and should report it as phishing within Gmail.

Those who fear they may have been hacked should go through a security checkup to regain control of their accounts, the company added.

Article published by ITV news Gmail users targeted in huge phishing scam

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I avoid cloud-based stuff, whether Google Docs or owt else, apart from occasionally using Dropbox to send/receive wholly non-contentious Media from pals.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I only use my gmail address for my phone and youtube accounts, I don't use to to send emails or to "have friends" with it, so thankfully avoided this scam... :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I only have a Gmail address because it's necessary in order to be able to usefully use my phone. Which reminds me - I haven't looked to see if anything's arrived in the last 3 or 4 months!

A

Archive-8

I use Gmail as my main email address, also have two step enabled.

I will check them all when I get back from voting.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Which reminds me - I haven't looked to see if anything's arrived in the last 3 or 4 months!
Actually two months since the last email arrived. Busy, busy, busy!