Goerge O Smith, Venus Equilateral (off the A.C. Clarke thread)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
T_G said:
Well, you can't get everything right, but it is the vision that he had..

By the way, you recommend any of George O. Smith books?

Agreed, he was visionary!

As for Smith .....

I've read the complete Venus Equilateral stories, available in 2 vols, from Amazon, etc. They are all excellent, much detail and humour! However, the later ones depart from "known science", involving telepathy, teleportation, etc, making them slightly less interesting (but still good).

Also The Brain Machine, which if I'm not mistaken is (one!) inspiration for "Joe 90". Often mentioned as being "similar to" Van Vogt's "Slan", although I don't agree with that, but never mind .....

(George O Smith worked on proximity fuses, one of the first uses for printed circuit boards during World War 2).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Strange, I can only see one Venus Equilateral book...

Ind321

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DishtV
future TaTa-SkY
My Location
INDIA
lol is biiger than u :D

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, I bought one off amazon, I will wait until it is here to see what it contains. To be continued....

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
well, I like Venus Equilateral, even when it gets silly in the later stories, Goerge O Smith could write and was always amusing.

Some of the sories are about conflicts between on-the-spot workers, and distant and ignorant managers, suggesting that the author saw quite a bit of this in his own job!

Interestingly, the last Venus Equilateral story was written specially for the John Campbell memorial volume.

www.space.com/sciencefiction/campbell_991130.html .

John Campbell WAS science fiction (!), and reading his collected letters to sci fi writers is very interesting, many of the most famous sf novels oiginated from his suggestions.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Interestingly, in Venus Equilateral "Channing and chums" are constantly battling to keep their microwave beams "on target", during solar storms etc. I'm not sure this is correct science. True, varying solar activity disrupts radio communications on earth, mainly via ionosphere effects, but shouldn't "bend" a microwave beam between planets!