Going for a pint could be good for the mind

N

net1

Spending more time in the pub could be good for your brain.

Researchers from University College, London, found that while a drink with your friends may be bad for your waistline, it could be good for your mind.

In a study due to be published this month, they report on a direct link between the social aspects of going to the pub and improved verbal and numerical ability.

This contrasts starkly with more restrained activities such as gardening and painting which, the study found, had no benefit to the mind at all.

Psychologists from the university's Department of Epidemiology and Public Health analysed information on 10,000 civil servants of all grades working in London, says The Times.

The results, which were standardised to account for age and social class, were examined for connections between mental ability and the way that people spent their leisure time.

The researchers found that the best way to help the mind was by regular cultural visits to theatres, art galleries and stately homes.

This was closely followed by reading and listening to music. Involvement in clubs and voluntary organisations were also highly beneficial, as were taking part in courses and evening classes.

But the study, which will be published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, also found that social activities, like going to the pub, could be good for the mind.

The authors emphasise their study looked at social aspects alone and not the effect of beer on the brain.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This will obviously account for why there are so many experts to be found standing at the bar. :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ha Ha, not CH, you may find him in the Amethyst Tea bar though. :)