Going Through The Roof ?

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Rarther than have an array of steelwork on the back/side of my house I'm considering mounting a pole in the loft, well braced & supported. Passing pole thro the tiles, sealing with an adapted lead "T" sleeve.

Putting a H-H mount & a 1.2Mtr Channelmaster SMC on the top! :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any experiance of any pitfalls I may come across with this type of project?

o-O

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depends on whether the dish is looking up the roof (larger distance between rafter and joist required)

No problems if the seal of pipe to rubber gasket is good and you seal the top of the post.

You have to have original sized rafters, types fitted in new homes with metal pin plates work loose. Reinforce everything to eveything to be safe, (and dont keep expensive china/glass in the room below)

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Yeah its gotta look up the roof........ The house was built in the late 50's so no nasty steel plates there.... I have two chunky "W" braces up there :-0 which I was planning on utilising, I really don't want the pole flexing & breaking up the tiles as they are Hand made & about £5 each (When ya can get them that is) Good point of yours regarding sealing the top of the pole ....... Didn't think of that :-)

Drawings for approval to follow

JM