Good News: Videocon to launch it's DTH Service in November

C

curious

My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
Videocon Industries, a renowned electronic manufacturer in India, is all set to launch its own Direct-to-Home service in India. The service was to be launched in September, but last minute issues led this to be postponed till November.

Videocon, probably the largest moving television manufacturer in India, till the Korean giants came here, has still about 20-30% share in the TV market. The company is investing a whopping Rs. 1000 Cr. into this in colaboration with BBCL, Bharat Business Channel Ltd. The brand name has been given. The service will be known as D2H and the test signals are already underway.

The major players in the DTH service providers would be in for a tough time, because, Videocon is planning to sell the STB's at less that Rs 1000/- thus making this the cheapest available brand. Also, Videocon will be competing with DishTV, Tata sky, Sun Direct, DD Direct, BigTV Airtel Digital TV.

The Website, _www.D2H.com has already been registered though the design aspects are still underway.

VIDEOCON's set-top box is a MPEG-4 digital satellite receiver with built-in IRDETO CAS system and Idway-J middleware. ARION Technology a Korean world-leading digital set-top box manufacturer, has participated in this project as one of the consortium members and provided their experienced HW and SW solutions to VIDEOCON. ARION's sales director said ARION will be able to secure stable incomes from royalty on VIDEOCON's set-top box sales in India market.

The number of Channels that is to be made available is believed to be around 240+ including radio channels. Also, unconfirmed reports are there that Internet would also be available for the subscribers, even though 2 way communication through LNB is not even heard off.

There would be seven packages in addition to regional packages. This would really increase the competition as mostly the consumers are more interested in getting channels of their choice.

The DTH would be made available through an Israeli Satellite that would ensure that the middle-east customers are also romped in.

Source: _http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1136818/videocon_dth_service.html?cat=39

srei

srei

My Satellite Setup
coship receiver 2000,Dreambox 500;2 ku3cband dishes of 2,4,6&8feet,amd 64 pc with 1GB ram usb tv tuner card
My Location
north west india
Other DTH providers in India have already started Rs.100per month scheme,if the channels offered by videocon are really 240 including popular channels,it is indeed good news.

C

curious

My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
NEW DELHI: Consumer durable maker Videocon plans to launch its direct-to-home (DTH) television services venture in April 2009 against its original target of September 2008, said a top Videocon executive. As of now five companies are offering DTH services in the country including Dish TV, Tata Sky, Airtel, Big TV and Sun TV.

Videocon Industries, the flagship group company of the Dhoot family, would be launching the DTH service through its subsidiary Bharat Business. The firm had earlier announced that it would make an initial investment of about Rs 1,000 crore in the venture.

When contacted by ET, Videocon Industries’ director Saurabh Dhoot who is heading the venture confirmed that the company will be launching its DTH services in April.

With the entry of the sixth firm offering DTH services, consumers are likely to see lower prices. Already, the price war between the five existing players has significantly brought down the combined price of hardware and subscription to television channels.

Another senior executive with the company added that the firm is looking to integrate the set-top-box with new television sets as a fresh offering to the consumer. A set-top-box is a hardware which is required to receive content on the television.

From just 3-4 million subscriber base in 2007, the DTH industry has grown to an estimated 10 million subscribers as of December 2008. As per estimates of consultancy firm Ernst & Young, the DTH subscriber base could touch 19 million in the next 2-3 years.

Source: Economic Times

C

Chit Chat

My Satellite Setup
14 Feet C-Band Mesh Dish and TECHNOSAT CX - Digital Satellite Receiver.
My Location
Bangalore - INDIA
Good news for sure! :-righton

srei

srei

My Satellite Setup
coship receiver 2000,Dreambox 500;2 ku3cband dishes of 2,4,6&8feet,amd 64 pc with 1GB ram usb tv tuner card
My Location
north west india
Yes,the more competition shall result in more choice at less price to the consumers.

K

krishn

My Satellite Setup
dvb s2 usb for pc
My Location
india-gujarat
any testing feeds freq or tp list for videocon?

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Original plans were for ST1 at 88E to be used, but theres no sign of any activity on it according to Lyngsat