good receiver for UK

bismillah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
london
Hi!
I'm moving to UK from States and was wondering what receiver with good support for fixes will be good to Make It Work there just like we have done here with DN......any suggestions........

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
What are you wanting to watch?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Dreambox? Technomate?

gerryl

Reaction score
mhku said:
Dreambox? Technomate?
...would agree Techno mostly software flashin via laptop.. Dreambox is linux via broadband or software flashing via laptop if yer up for motor go DB software route plenty of support this end of the pond! :)

Also ye need to consider, CAM/Card options- Motor type and HD or not!

bismillah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
london
gerryl said:
...would agree Techno mostly software flashin via laptop.. Dreambox is linux via broadband or software flashing via laptop if yer up for motor go DB software route plenty of support this end of the pond! :)

Also ye need to consider, CAM/Card options- Motor type and HD or not!
I just wanna watch regular local and some asian channels.....i think sky got all those. is there any hack for sky? I'll also have broadband wireless set up in my home for laptop......

bismillah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
london
mhku said:
Dreambox? Technomate?
which one got better support for software updates? is there any model??

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
bismillah said:
I just wanna watch regular local and some asian channels.....i think sky got all those. is there any hack for sky? I'll also have broadband wireless set up in my home for laptop......

Well what do you class as regular??? channel names would be helpful, no there is no hack for sky it is totally secure. So that limits you, you could of course get the freesat service but you would be best to use a Sky Digi box for that.

bismillah said:
which one got better support for software updates? is there any model??

Either a technomate or a Dreambox is probably your best option but with the DB you need to know a bit of Linux commands

bismillah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
london
Topper said:
Well what do you class as regular??? channel names would be helpful, no there is no hack for sky it is totally secure. So that limits you, you could of course get the freesat service but you would be best to use a Sky Digi box for that.

Either a technomate or a Dreambox is probably your best option but with the DB you need to know a bit of Linux commands[/quote]

i want pakistani and indian channels along with Uk local if possible.....
what set up you recommend???

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
bismillah said:

Well I will not make recommendations with such vagueness and certainly not if you are not more specific as to what channels you want to watch. Why not telephone sky and ask them

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
bismillah said:

There are plenty of Pakistani & Indian channels available on the Sky platform. Many of them are premium seervices and require a subscription on top of the Sky UK sub. The Asian channels tend to be expensive - typically an extra 10-15UKP a month for a couple of extra channels......

A few of the south Asian channels are available on other satellites available to the UK.

Sky is totally secure so either you subscribe or you do without.

bismillah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
london
Ok...geo, ARY from pakistan and B4U or Zee from India....I mentioned sky because that's all i know in UK sky is the only provider.....here we have Dishnet and it got all international and local at one satellite. For me UK experience is new and need advice from guys like you who knows better than me.
do i still need to phone sky?:)

mm_mm19518

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ghhjjjjgr
My Location
ghjkhkh
thinksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
bismillah said:
Ok...geo, ARY from pakistan and B4U or Zee from India....I mentioned sky because that's all i know in UK sky is the only provider.....here we have Dishnet and it got all international and local at one satellite. For me UK experience is new and need advice from guys like you who knows better than me.
do i still need to phone sky?:)

If you have a dish pointing to Hot Bird 13E (perhaps just add an LNB to your current dish), you can subscribe to Zee TV as a DTH (Direct To Home), instead of going through Sky.
Please take a look at this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/zee-tv-india/103548-zee-tv-uk-package.html