Got my Maplin satellite kit for my birthday

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec-Star Lifetime Classic Receiver with 65cm dish single LNB
My Location
London, UK
Got fortec star kit for birthday am un decided on whether to fit myself or get someone to fit it for me. Want it set to astra 19.2 first, does anyone have an idea how much would cost to get it fitted? Problem is instructions that came with are rubbish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Prices vary dramatically and will depend on where it needs to be mounted, cable run, etc. Could be anywhere between £50 and £100, but is fairly straightforward to do yourself, if you have the correct set of tools.

What does the kit comprise?

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Kit has 65cm dish a universal LNB and a fortec star lifetime classic, with help from this forum think maybe able to install it myself, does installing myself void the warrenty at all?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No it doesn't. :)

Paulo B

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar
My Location
holanda
test test test

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Says I need satellite finder kit, Coaxial cable atleast 20m F-connectors X 4 what are F connectors? Also do I run the coaxial cable direct from the LNB to the reciever? Ohterthing confused about is the LNB it says a maxiumum tightening torque what's that for, is it for the screws to tighten it on to the dish? Appreciate any help you give me:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well if you don't have a motor, then you don't need four "F" connectors, as one goes to the LNB and the other goes to the receiver. You can use a portable TV and a long lead to find the satellite, although a cheap sat meter would make life easier, an old analogue receiver also makes life easier for Astra 19.2.

I would guess that the torque applies to the LNB connector, but finger tight should do.

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Sorry to be a pain but can I just run through it with you quickly. Make up the dish attaching arm and bracket and LNB. Attach the bracket to the wall carry dish up to the other bracket and slide it on, then find astra 19.2 and tighten the bolts to stop it moving, attach the cable to the LNB run it down the arm to the back of the satellite down the wall of the house through the wall into the back of the reciever. Then scan for the satellie and channels. With the reciever do they usually tell tou what satellite there picking up?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You need to put the dish on the wall, in a suitable location so that you can see Astra 19.2, then connect the cable to LNB and receiver. Ideal if you can have a portable TV where you can see the screen and go into the receiver setup menu, choosing Astra 19.2E. Select a transponder, almost anything with a digital channel on it (there is a list at the top of this section) and whilst moving the dish very slowly, use the signal bars to see when you hit a satellite.

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
HOT TIP!... look at the other houses to see which wall their dishs are on :-rofl2

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Mark2101. Make sure you have an obstacle free view towards the south. Look for the sun at around 12 O'Clock and this should give you an ok idea of where the dish should be facing. The dish should be facing a little more to the right (when view from behind the dish) compared to any SKY dishes you might see aroubd you. The elevation should be more or less the same. Don't forget that 19.2E means dgr East from South...