GotoXX

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
I see lots of people who cannot (for whatever reason) get the GotoXX function to work with their DreamBox. I would like to find out why, incase I befall this issue at some point in the future. Currently I use a DM7000 coupled to an HH100 rotor via GotoXX with no problems.

Is there anyone out there who would like to do some "experiments" to try and find out why their system does NOT work with GotoXX?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What image are you using?

Presently all my East positions are OK but when I select GoTo West the dish still goes East!

I have checked the connections are the correct way round.

The dish will drive West from the DreamBox manually.

I am using Peter Pan image.

1W works OK!

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
its been a while but when I used the goto XX function my dish would go the wrong way also.

I use the Hydra 1.08 achilles image.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Doesn't appear to work with the Black Tiger version 1, but works ith Version 2.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The DreamBox 7000s I have has the USALS function which I understand is used to decide the direction of rotation.

Could this be where the problem starts.

Removed the complete assembly yesterday and re mounted everything. i now get a siganl across the arc but I am still having to move the dish and scan for transponders manually (a very long process).

Am I doing something wrong?

Can you set the DreamBox up to scan and search overnight or is that too much to ask?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
From the USALS instructions...

Advantages of USALS

If the dish is not initially aligned perfectly to face due south (in the Northern hemisphere) then the search for satellites is normallt problematic. However, with USALS, this inconvenience no longer exists because the program calculates the positions of all "visible" satellites, on the basis of latitude and longitude of the installation site, with a precision of +/- 0.05 degrees. This is possible because the USALS program also decides the direction of rotation.

With DisEqC1.2 a manual search and memorisation of every satellite position is required. However, with USALS all you have to do is point the dish towards a satellite at the centre of the arc and USALD will automatically find and store the rest.

With DisEqC1.2, the user is obliged to seek the help of an expert every time a satellite position has been changed or a new one activated. However, with USALS, you need only to add the name of the new satellite to the list, and its orbital position. The motor will move to the new position without need for further programming or alignment!

As the user doesn't need to carry out complicated adjustments or programming, the risk of making a mistake is greatly reduced. This is unlike standard DisEqC1.2 where a small error can require the installation procedure to be started from the beginning.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL. That sounds like it fell off of a PR consultants desk...

If your dish geometry is wrong, then USALS or no USALS, your arc is going to be out, and you won't get perfect tracking. If it's only a slight error in the azimuth of your due south satellite, then it may not be too noticeable, but the further E/W you go, the further it will be out.

It's a shame you can't enter negative numbers into your motor setup!

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
FWIW I am using the Hydra lucien build, however I used Olympia before that.

After making sure the mount was vertical, I told the DB to look at a 19.2 channel, and then (after the dish had moved) manually moved the whole assembly around until a signal was found. I then adjusted the disk elevation to maximise the signal, and repeated this a few times until max point was found. As I donbt have a signal meter, I used a DECT phone on intercom to talk to a friend positioned in front of the telly :) I can see all sats from ~40E to 30E that you would expect with a 0.8m dish, which will do for now ;)

If you want to see what the DB is really doing, then manually starting the enigma process via telnet and looking at the trace output is very revealing.

I can post step-by-step instructions on this if anyone wants to try it.

It is also worth noting that the DB will "fall back" to GotoXX if it can't find a stored position for your sat.

Phew, enough already.
David.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
The go to XX stuff on the dreambox is doing my head in. Ever since I started with the dreambox I am having trouble with it. Some images are better than others. Soem will work at the beginning, then after a few days they start to play up. Sometimes it will work for a few sats, then you would want to go back to a sat you been an hour before, and the f*****g thing won't find it. Then I reboot and it works again...
As I haven't got a clue I am guseeing that maybe the signal that the box is sending out to the motor is either "wrong", or maybe non existant. I have a feeling that when I move the dish a lot I get more problems, suggesting maybe something within the box gets hot??? Also, it seems that if you use the same image for a long time it gets worse, so maybe there is also a software problem that gets worse. In any case, the best is to manually store positions, as evil as it may be....

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
T_G said:
The best is to manually store positions, as evil as it may be....

My Box is now about 70% working as required.

Skint knuckles and hours up a ladder (all god fun).

Advice please, I can now scan from 30 West to 30 East but (there's always a but) when at 30 West if I incline the motor I get a better signal but lose the East. On the East if I decline the motor I get a better signal but the West suffers.

If the pole is not vertical it maust be by about 1mm i have checked and checked it. It has been removed and re-fixed and using a plum line set up.

Problem is I get a conservatory fitted next month and won't get access to the dish so any help would be great.

Don't think the wife will be too impressed if I cancel the build ing so i can fix the dish - but what the hell, that's a price she may have to pay!

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
T_G said:
...maybe the signal that the box is sending out to the motor is either "wrong", or maybe non existant...
Thats why I want to find someone who has a non-working setup to do a bit of tracing so we can see why! :)

I have downloaded the source, and identified the section of code responsible, and it is already well instrumented with tracing.
I have posted on a few sites...but no one will volunteer :rolleyes:

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
djlemur said:
Thats why I want to find someone who has a non-working setup to do a bit of tracing so we can see why! :)

What do you want them to do/try?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like you need to move your motor on the pole by a degree or so to the West, that would give you more elevation there and slightly less on the Eastern limit. What is your longitude and what did you set your due south on?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
rolfw said:
Sounds like you need to move your motor on the pole by a degree or so to the West, that would give you more elevation there and slightly less on the Eastern limit. What is your longitude and what did you set your due south on?

Set dish up at 0 deg and pointed South (compass and magnetic adjustment)

Moved dish 1 deg West and used a meter to get signal from Thor.

If the dish is pointing 1 deg West and I get Thor, does that confirm it is pointing South at 0 deg?

Longitude -4.2604 (deg E) Latitude +55.8523 (deg N)

Bit windy today to go up a ladder - and it's raining heavy!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
Set dish up at 0 deg and pointed South (compass and magnetic adjustment)

Moved dish 1 deg West and used a meter to get signal from Thor.

If the dish is pointing 1 deg West and I get Thor, does that confirm it is pointing South at 0 deg?

Longitude -4.2604 (deg E) Latitude +55.8523 (deg N)

Bit windy today to go up a ladder - and it's raining heavy!

@ Gameboy
Cant remember exactly the degree which I set up my Motor, I think i was about 6% out. So when I was on Sirius @5e, I think it said 11e on motor. I can get all sats from 45e to 30w havent tried anything after that. so when you set up Thor '1w I dont think it should be 1w on motor. I may be wrong but if you dont sort it out soon I will get up on ladder and see where 1w is on motor. It took me a week to sort it out and it was like you said couldnt get anything after 28e and when i did move the dish i lost the west ones. I think I done it like Rolfw said Moved the Motor not the dish. The instructions that came with the motor was bank on when looking back. it had a map with it. hope this helps or even do your head in more.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
How about this: The motor and the dish have elevation adjustments. Get your motor instructions out, it should tell you how much to set up the motor angle related to your Longitude/Latitude. Then you need to set up the dish for the elevation. In case you don't have any markings on the dish, you will have to find it "manually". Put the motor in the position using a compass etc, or just where you think you should have it.
So how to set it up: Put in a fresh image, and set the options to "disecq". Then go to the "go to xx" and put in your Longitude/Latitude. Then go and choose Thor for instance. The motor now should move to the position where it believes Thor is. If you get a picture, fine. If not, you need to go on the roof and find the sat. DON'T MOVE THE DISH WITH THE DREAMBOX!!! If you got someone to help, put him on the phone and go to the roof. I use a baby phone next to the TV speaker, and take the other with me. Then I move the dish until I suddenly hear the channel. You will find that if you had the correct angle of the motor, and your pole is straight you will find it.
Also, if Thor does not give you a good signal, use another one as close to 0 deg.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks for the replies.

Will try and get back up the ladder soon, bad weather stopped play today.

Fitted a couple of security cameras from Aldi instead, worth a look. Only £29 - they auto switch TV to camera on movement and are powered through the cable. Just B/W you can talk/listen through the camera an set it to bleep on movement etc.

Don't know when this offer was on but my local still has some.

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
gameboy said:
What do you want them to do/try?
Basically I would like to see the [TUNE] section of the log output produced when you run enigma manually.

These are the steps required to do this from a telnet session to a box running Hydra-Lucien with newcamd selected as the EMU

To kill enigma...

rm /tmp/.enigma
killall -9 emubroker
killall -9 enigma
killall -9 newcamd.ppc
killall -9 cardserver.dream

The DB should now have a blank screen.

To start enigma...

emubroker &
enigma >/hdd/logfile 2>&1 &

The DB should display the selected channel.
Change to the satellite where gotoXX makes the dish point the wrong way, etc.
Then when the dish has stopped moving, use the kill enigma instructions.

Use your favourite editor to look at the logfile...and search for [TUNE].
Then post the following 20 or so lines :)

Once you have finished, I suggest rebooting the DB to resume normal service.

FWIW there is loads of good stuff about how the DB software works that can be gleaned from this logfile.

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Is no one going to try this then? :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, I think you fried most of their brains!