Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the BBC News Desk

Chelsea are searching for a new boss after dismissing Avram Grant just eight months into a four-year contract.

The decision followed two days of talks between Grant, 53, and the club's chief executive Peter Kenyon.

The Israeli coach's position had been subject to intense speculation after Chelsea finished runners-up in the Premier League and Champions League.

Russia coach Guus Hiddink, fellow Dutchman Frank Rijkaard and Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson are among the early favourites to replace Grant.

Chelsea said in a statement on their website that the search for a new coach would now begin and that the club will make no further comment.

The statement said: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm that Avram Grant has had his contract as manager terminated today. This follows meetings over the last two days.

"Everybody at Chelsea FC would like to thank Avram for his contribution since taking over as manager last September.

More...

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I can understand that Roman might well think he can get a more distinguished manager than Grant, but I just can not believe that a man who has come 2nd in the league by just 2 points, and lead the club to within a spot kick of the Champions League hasn't done enough to keep his job.

If this is the way it's going at the top, Sir Alex and Wenger really are the last of the long-term great managers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, it's becoming a joke now, totally unrealistic time scales for results.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Many commentators claimed he would get the sack even if he won both the League and European Cup, now that is a joke !!!!!!!!!

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i feel sorry for the guy... no manager wants a sacking on his CV and to get one like this is pathetic.

its not just Chelsea either, Man citys owner is out of order too, i think Sven did a good job.

the list of Managers who loose there job in strange circumstances gets bigger each year... where will it all end?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It doesn't help with continual high profile media speculation about who will be sacked next, they are pretty much prompting many of these sackings and it is a disgrace.