Great Site... HELP need on 3 simple questions

L

lovely_luck

Having just discovered this fantastic site (quick bit of brown noseing) i just had to ask some of the questions about S*y Digital i've never been able to answer. They are as follows:

1. When they activate (or deactivate) your card are they actually sending an instruction to your card/box? (ie if you simply took your card out of the box wouldn't it mean that it would stay activated?)

2. Some time ago i notice that there was a programme stuck in my selected programme guide (you know the thing which gives you a warning when your programme is about to start). Simply, how can i delete it?

3. Living in Budapest (HUNGARY) i'm not able to receive ITV1. I've read a number of details about people experiencing the same problem and the first thing i did was check the footprint of the transponder. I've been told that it would be no use to buy a bigger dish. All i need is a definitive answer... can i or can't i receive ITV1 and if so what do i need to do?

Really sorry for the very long questions, but this is my first time.

Many, many thanks in advance!
Simon

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Firstly Simon, nothing wrong with a bit of brown nosing :)

But to answer your questions, at least in part

>1. When they activate (or deactivate) your card are they
>actually sending an instruction to your card/box? (ie if
>you simply took your card out of the box wouldn't it mean
>that it would stay activated?)

Not as simple as that, if you switch off your box for a month or so, even if it has a fully paid up and authorised card, the card will fail to work until it has been updated and can sometimes take several hours. so this shows that the cards require continuous updating.

>
>2. Some time ago i notice that there was a programme stuck
>in my selected programme guide (you know the thing which
>gives you a warning when your programme is about to start).
>Simply, how can i delete it?

Take your card out, switch off the box at the mains, switch back on and then go into personal plannerand delete all. Then switch off the box and restart with the card in......Should work

>3. Living in Budapest (HUNGARY) i'm not able to receive
>ITV1. I've read a number of details about people
>experiencing the same problem and the first thing i did was
>check the footprint of the transponder. I've been told that
>it would be no use to buy a bigger dish. All i need is a
>definitive answer... can i or can't i receive ITV1 and if so
>what do i need to do?

Don't know, is the simple answer to this one, have a look at the thread Astra 2D reception, there are details about required dish size against location.

Rolf

L

lovely_luck

Thanks for the response!

But... a couple more little questions...

1. So it is indeed true that each and every card can be communicated to individually? (A simple yes or no will suffice here)

2. With this in mind, are S*y able to see that one individual card is in the box, or one particular box is switched on (without being plugged into the telephone line)?

3. On the same theme as question 2. is it technically possible for my box to communicate back to S*y without the use of the telephone line (for telling them what programme i am watching for instance)?

As you may of guessed, i'm more interested in how the whole system works, so if anyone knows of any good links it would also be very handy.

Thanks again and top marks to rolf!
Simon

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Simon, in answer to the questions.

Q....1. So it is indeed true that each and every card can be communicated to individually? (A simple yes or no will suffice here)

A.....Yes

Q.... 2. With this in mind, are S*y able to see that one individual card is in the box, or one particular box is switched on (without being plugged into the telephone line)?

A......No

Q......3. On the same theme as question 2. is it technically possible for my box to communicate back to S*y without the use of the telephone line (for telling them what programme i am watching for instance)?

A......No The box is only able to communicate by use of the phoneline, also bear in mind that there are somewhere in the region of 5 million cards in circulation, so individual scrutiny is unlikely.

Rolf