greatest inventor ?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
And the worst 100 inventions here...

_http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Worst_100_Inventions_of_All_Time

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
why is it we always say
"best thing since sliced bread"

maybe thats the best invention :D an err maybe not..

This website :D

there is loads, cant really pick one out though

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
PaulR said:
No, NO, NO

Edison did not, Not, NOT invent the lightbulb. Sir Joseph Swan invented the lightbulb. What Edison did was to patent a part of the electric light bulb that was thought to be common knowledge and therefore not in need of patenting.

Swan has been the subject of airbrushing out of history by Americans, who have to think they invented evrything worh inventing.

Edison was an inventor, yes, but first and foremost he was a businessman

I wasn't really trying to claim Edison invented the lightbulb, I was just using it as an example of something that would still have been invented if the original inventor had not been around (in fact I hadn't put much thought into the example). Someone would have come up with the idea if neither Swan or Edison had been around.

At the moment I'm going with the inventor of the alphabet. It might seem like that has been 'invented' several times, but it hasn't.

Scripts and methods for writing things down were developed in several places at once, but all the alphabets we use evolved from just one, developed about 4000 years ago.

Only one other true alphabet unrelated to this has been found, so yes it may have been invented had the original people in the Sinai desert not come up with it, but I still think they deserve some credit.

Then again perhaps not, the Chinese and Japanese (and many others) seem to do fine without an alphabet :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
PoloMint said:
I wasn't really trying to claim Edison invented the lightbulb,
I did realise that but what I wanted to do was stop further propagation of the myth as one could easily read into what you said what one thinks was said.

I'm glad that others, such as Spiney, are also aware of Swan. Perhaps a few more are now. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Priority disputes can get quite complicated ......

Yes, there's always been "airbrushing" of history, the worst offender currently being USA (due to global mass media domination, before that we did it!).

But, relevant here, important inventions often appear simultaneously in several different places, when the general technological background has become "right". Although, it then usually takes one "pushy" individual to develop and exploit each particular invention into a "going concern".

Certainly, Swann had a working light bulb before Edison. But, lots of other people were also looking for an alternative to the carbon arc lamp, as it was "tricky" and not suitable for domestic premises.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_light .

In Britian, electric light wasn't so important as in USA, because we already had a huge coal-gas distribution network, and widespread gas lighting. Most people have never seen gas lighting, but it's comparable to electric lighting, (with a nicer "softer" light). And during long winter nights in cold countries, there's the bonus of some heat.

In Britain, gas lighting lasted well into the 1960s! I can just about remember it at my infants' school, and later on in some streets, where a man used to come round each evening to light the lamps, using a long pole.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_lighting .

("Greatest inventor ever" is hard to define, but Edison was probably the most prolific ever. His early inventions in telegraphy made money, then he established a huge technology research centre at Menlo Park, from whence came the phonograph, cinema, and electic light and power systems (although, the "foredoomed" dc electricity distribution!). These were the 3 "key inventions" of the early 20th century (er, if you ignore the automobile and aeroplane)! The "Edison Effect" - in lightbulbs - also later led to thermionic valves (tubes), and the electronics industry and broadcasting.
Edison worked largely be trial and error, following "hunches" which usually didn't pay off (he very famously said "genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration"). But, he was also lucky enough to be around when things could still be invented by "endless tinkering"!

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison ).

gromit4x4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HTPC: AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 | Twinhan sat CI DVB-S | Nebula DVB-T | iMON rsc | HD70 | Kenwood DVT7000 | Tannoy EFX5.1 |

Moteck SG2100A | ISS 80cm
My Location
South Coast
Who was it that invented stockings and the suspender belt? that's who will be getting my vote:-rub

valentenuno

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic ouralis evo 2
My Location
portugal
Edison is the simbol of inventors, spiney said it all.

Dove

Reaction score
Lets not forget Tesla, a truly great creator of original ideas. One of his earliest invention was the 3 phase power generation, distribution system and the end use item - 3 phase electric motors. An idea he couldn't even give away at the time!

Bell deserves mention as the inventor of telephone fraud!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Well, certainly others were also working on ac distribution, but it's Tesla who "cracked it" - and sold his ideas to George Westinghouse - 3 phases being the best practical system.

PS, what's that about telephone fraud? Very intriguing, please tell us more .....

PPS, of course, later on Tesla went completely mad .......

www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_todre.html .

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Its funny, when Channel4 do their 'Best ever, whatever, Top 100 things' - the top ten is full of stuff from the last 3 years.

Greatest inventor? Uuumm - I guess, if you ask the same question in three years, some numbnut poll will come up with 'the bloke who invented' the i-pod :-rofl2

The greatest inventor, for me in the meantime, is the one who discovered and then exploited the radio wave (maybe they are different guys, WTF).

We have satellite now:D

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
forgot all about this thread i started until mark came up and pushed it back to top anyway.........

greatest inventor hmm...
at this mo my vote goes to (as a collective) to over half the footballers in the world cup because they must have invented every dive variation possible.....

but next month i may change my vote

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I just replied to new post :-ohmy valentenuno, Dove en Spiney all posted - this week - before I joined in?

Don't blame me - I'm a good girl I am!
Maybe, I just stand out more than the other boyz, wink :-rofl2

Joke!

Dove en Spiney - like that - great DJ combo for you two, hehe.

Dove

Reaction score
spiney said:
Well, certainly others were also working on ac distribution, but it's Tesla who "cracked it" - and sold his ideas to George Westinghouse - 3 phases being the best practical system.

PS, what's that about telephone fraud? Very intriguing, please tell us more .....

PPS, of course, later on Tesla went completely mad .......

www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_todre.html .

Thanks for the link, its been years since I've read anything about Tesla.

Tesla was always mentally a little "out there", something that he used to his advantage when deal with complex ideas. As a child he often found it difficult to differenciate between what his eyes and his minds eye were seeing , sort of like an always on Heads Up display.

What separates men like Edison, Marconi and Bell from Tesla is that Edison et al were able to take a basis idea, develop it and successfully commercialize it while Tesla was too in love with chasing science and discovery. Even his deal with George Westinghouse did not go well as Westinghouse ran into finnancial difficulties and was not able to fully honour the terms of the agreement.

[SIZE=+0]So who invented the telephone? Here is a quote from wikipedia:[/SIZE]
Alexander Graham Bell (March 3, 1847 – August 2, 1922) was a Scottish-born scientist and inventor. Today, Bell is still widely considered to be the foremost inventor of the telephone, although this matter has become controversial, with a number of people claiming that Antonio Meucci was the "real" inventor (in June 2002, the United States House of Representatives passed a symbolic bill officially recognizing Meucci for his contributions to the invention of the telephone). Others advance Elisha Gray, the founder of the Western Electric Manufacturing Company. (It is reasonably clear that each of these men independently invented a telephone.) In addition to Bell's work in telecommunications technology, he was responsible for important advances in aviation and hydrofoil technology.
hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell

or a slightly different view here
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVYsObVn-g

Elisha Gray and Bell submitted patents for telephone systems to the patent office around the same time. It was going to be winner takes all. Bell 's application was just ahead of Gray's. Gray returned empty handed to his farm and faded into the mist of history. Maybe somebody looked at Bell's application and saw how revisions scribbled in the margins were remarkably similar to Grays system, either way Bell was granted the patent.

Years later on his death bed the patent clerk who handled the patent applications confessed that he accepted a bribe from Bell. It appears that Gray was first in with the application and with a better system and that Bell's was altered after submission!

PS Marconi's 1901 link across the Atlantic (mentioned in spiney's url above) is described by RF propagation experts as very unlikely to have been successful.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yes, Dove, how true!

There's a book (I've a copy) called "The telephone and its several inventors", which mentions Gray, and many others .......

With all these inventions, there were originally several competing commercial systems. For example, with early radio there was Marconi, Fessenden, Slaby-Arco, Popov (often forgotten!), etc ..... (also not forgetting the British Lodge-Muirhead system, Marconi later had to pay Lodge back-roaylties for using his patented tuning system, without first asking ......)

PS, I don't think you could really call Tesla an "early radio" man. What his Tower was supposed to do was transmit a huge induction field all round the world (exactly how it would have "stopped wars" remains a mystery!). If completed, what he'd actually have been doing is transmit VLF - or maybe LF - via a "Fessenden style" (possibly an Alexanderson) high frequency alternator.

PPS, yes, I seem to recall Tesla was a quiet solitary person, but it's a few years since I read his biography.
(Tesla liked feeding pigeons! If you see Mel Brooks' original "The Producers" film, the writer character in the tin helmet who keeps pigeons is supposedly partly based on Tesla. I haven't seen the more recent musical version, is he still in that?).

PPPS, yes, Marconi's 1st transatlantic transmission, very interesting! Both he and his assistant claimed they heard the (pre-arranged!) Morse Code signal, but there was only their word for it!
I believe the IEEE have recently carried out some experiments, and concluded that it WOULD have been possible for Marconi to receive the transmission using the equipment he had. But, as to whether he really did .......

PPPPS, Bell is yet another inventor who eventually went mad! Towards the end of his life - with worldwide telephone/cable/radio communications by then well established - Bell still maintained that his greatest ever invention was ....... The Photophone!

Dove

Reaction score
Is it even possible to be brilliant without being at least a little eccentric?:D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Dove said:
Is it even possible to be brilliant without being at least a little eccentric?:D

Probably not! That same attitude, which originally makes somebody "swim against the tide", also guarantees that later on they'll go utterly mad.

Dove

Reaction score
spiney said:
PPPS, yes, Marconi's 1st transatlantic transmission, very interesting! Both he and his assistant claimed they heard the (pre-arranged!) Morse Code signal, but there was only their word for it!
I believe the IEEE have recently carried out some experiments, and concluded that it WOULD have been possible for Marconi to receive the transmission using the equipment he had. But, as to whether he really did .......

The time of day versus the frequency used would have made contact very difficult. Of course back then little or nothing would have been known of long distance radio propagation.
My own experience is that when listening for weak morse signals through static crashes for long periods of time you will start to wonder if that morse signal that you can just perceive is it real or not. The effect is worse if you are expecting a particular sequence :-ohmy

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yes. Back then, everybody "knew" that electromag waves were line-of-sight only, so expecting them to travel 4000 miles was just silly!

(However, prior to Newfoundland, Marconi HAD got undeniable occasional radio contact with ships at least three quarters way across the Atlantic - conditions permitting - so had "fair confidence" he could do it!).

Regarding what one might "hear" after hours of listening to just static, I bow to your greater experience .......

(not quite sure what you hear through a coherer detector ..... !).

PS, as so often - though not necessarily always - Wikipedia has an excellent article on Tesla: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla .

(Hmmm ...... Wiki has a long list of Tesla sci fi links, but appears to have missed out Ray Jones' "This Island Earth", where Jorgasnovara's remote controlled aeroplane - working off "beamed power" - seems uncannily like Tesla's earlier similar idea. This might have been missed because it's only in the novel, and not in the very different film version!).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
The greatest inventions of all times – now this is a question I have been thinking about for a long time now.

I say that the truly great inventions or discoveries were all way back in the past. Telephones, electric light or light bulbs etc. are good examples for useful inventions, but 100-120 years ago my ancestors lived happily with oil lamps, horses and washboards, and still today there are millions of people who live without many modern appliances (albeit they are not as happy as my grand grandmother was). But the inventions/discoveries I nominate are those without which we would not be who we are, and to the dismay of Scottish, British and American inventors they are all African (and maybe one European):

The ladder
The stick
The lighter
The flint stone tool
Le cave art
The wheel

Unfortunately for the poor chaps who invented them they forgot to patent them and therefore their families could not benefit from the popularity of their discoveries. But because of their pioneering work we are now able to tell their tale. (Not necessarily in chronological order).

NOTE: The following is a rough draft for a funny children book with pictures. I thought that my 3 kids have a right to know the truth about this. I also think that you, my fellow satellite enthusiasts, might be interested. Of course, it will be improved upon, and I also would like to add some pictures to it. As my painting abilities are even worse than my grammar, anyone with painting skills who is interested in collaborating on this PM me. Copyright by T_G 2006.

The Ladder
Lets start with the ladder. This was invented by a monkey called EeehhhhUHUHUH who found that swinging from branch to branch is sort of nice, but more interesting things are happening on the ground. He was a very busy monkey and also, he was determined to make a name for himself in the monkey community. He wanted to become the top dog of the monkey pack (which is easier than being top monkey in a dog pack), and he figured he needs something to make him stand out intellectually from the other silly simians around him. So he invented the ladder, which everybody agreed made descending from the tree a much more dignified and affair than simply plummeting to the ground. (This is also the basis of the expression “to move up the social ladder”) The minute the ladder became public knowledge, a few fortunate und brave monkeys used it to climb down from the tree they were on. What happened though (as with many inventors) EeehhhhUHUHUH was a bit nutty and forgetful, after the first few monkeys went down the ladder they found that EeehhhhUHUHUH forgot to tell them the instructions of this revolutionary device. Going down was easy, but up was altogether rather more difficult. And as always, trouble never comes alone: Just when they wanted to ask him about this, he was ripped to pieces by a lion and it took mankind another 2, 3 million years to be able to solve this problem. In the meantime those who already were down there had to adapt and invent other things to make living more interesting and satisfying. For instance, the stick. (And no, I don’t mean you, `Stick, although you are so special you had to be invented)

The Stick:
The stick was invented by another monkey called EeeehhUHUHUH. Although his name sounds fairly similar to our friend EeehhhhUHUHUH the “Ladder Monkey”, they were not related at all, although if they would have met accidentally in an extraordinary twist of fate they would have found that they were very much alike and that they shared many similar interests such as grooming and eating the parasitic insects they find behind and inside each others ears. In any case, this clever and enterprising monkey discovered that a stick made of wood or any longish object is very useful indeed. We all seen the Stanley Kubrik movie where EeeehhUHUHUH smashes a scull with a large bone jumping up and down and screeching very excitedly looking all evil and bloodthirsty. The thing is, EeeehhUHUHUH was a peaceful and loving ape, the Hollywood dramatisation of these early events painted a completely wrong picture of this monumental event. The truth of this historic moment was that when EeeehhUHUHUH discovered the stick, it was quite a large heavy one, almost the shape of a mid sized cudgel. While turning it around, sniffing it, licking and tasting it and generally trying to figure what this thing is and what could be made of it, (maybe he was thinking of merchandising, subcontracting, movie rights etc, but as these were all not invented yet it caused a big confusion in his monkey brain) he accidentally dropped it. Even as far away as ancient pre-human history “Sods Law” was already activated by cheeky higher beings, who liked to have a divine giggle observing the consequences of this twisted, evil law. The heavy side of the club fell directly onto EeeehhUHUHUH’s pinkie toe (or maybe it was the second one from the right on his left foot, exact records are not found), and EeeehhUHUHUH, after 3 seconds of doing absolutely nothing, until his brain registered “EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHH” (which means *#$#$%$64#4343#* in Monkeish), started to jump up and down screaming like a monkey who has been hit by a heavy club on his pinkie toe. (This turn of events was deemed too tame for Hollywood, so some clever screenwriters changed the club to a bone and instead of the calamitous event of the squashed toe they decided to use a plastic scull for dramatic effect). Anyway, after the pain receded EeeehhUHUHUH understood that the stick was a good method to inflict pain or even death. It took some time to figure out that if you wanted to hunt, twisting it in your hands, licking and tasting it and then accidentally dropping it on a passing Wildebeest might only work out once in a while: You got to be positioned downwind on high ground, a Wildebeest path beneath you, a Wildebeest heard passing on the Wildebeest path and, most importantly, your toes carefully folded underneath your foot). A more efficient method was gradually and scientifically developed. He started to use it more and more to his advantage for hunting, bashing, and in a more cultural setting occasionally to show his grandmonkeys how he discovered this wonderful “thing” (the older he got the less he told it as he did not like limping around for days every time with an aching foot). EeeehhUHUHUH’s favourite nephew continued to develop the stick, and found that a thin long stick can be good to inflict pain by poking other monkeys, but also to stick into Termite mounts and get a tasty snack out of it. The stick developed into many interesting and useful forms and shapes. Even today, millions of male monkey descendants still like to use them for any occasion (especially overpriced, shiny red brand named types advertised on racing cars) and drop them on their toes or bash their fingers. The primeval cry of pain in the 21st century is surprisingly similar to the one sounded by EeeehhUHUHUH all this time ago at the exact moment of his revolutionary discovery!

The Lighter
One of the best discoveries of ancient times truly changed our life: The lighter. With it, man could make fire whenever he wanted, woman could use it to cook things that were hunted by man. It represents one of the cornerstones of man’s wellbeing which are: Hunting, eating, watching TV and of course, playful wrestling with Mrs. Caveman. The fire made sure the mammoth loin steak was nice and tasty, and afterwards “Pre-TV-Man” used to stare hours and hours into the fire. Early man might not have had the intellectual capacity, but he surely was as practical as modern man is today: Instead of getting up and “flicking the channels” with the hand (which used to burn the hair off his hairy limb) he used a long stick to poke the fire without getting up. Later in evolution, the stick got shorter and shorter and filled with electronics, but it is still essentially a poking stick to change channels. When the cave or hut was warm and cosy, and man had made sure enough sticks were there to keep the fire going there was a much better chance for some wrestling than if it was cold and wet.
In any case, the traditional scientific community believes that fire was invented when stone age man tried to make holes in objects by twirling a thin piece of wood until it got so hot that a fire broke out. As with many of the greatest inventions, the discovery event was purely accidental. (This phenomenon continued all the way to the present, for instance Newton discovered gravity when an apple fell accidentally on his head – or was it an insolent student who threw an apple at the dozing mad scientist snoring in mid day under the tree?)
The first human-made fire not only changed the life of UgHUgHUgH, our stone age fire starter, but also changed all man and womankind. (It also had a devastating effect on UgHUgHUgH’s straw roofed dwellings which were burnt down to the ground in the event). But first things first: As UgHUgHUgH did not have a fire to stare into, or a TV or an aquarium, he had to do something to pass the time in the long warm African evenings. The cave man of these pre-historic times was a rough, brutish ogre, but he had very sharp instincts. Through observation and guttural conversations with his friends he knew that the only way Mrs. UgHUgHUgH would agree to participate in a bit of fun or prepare a proper dinner (none of that vegetarian roots and herb stuff, I am talking about mammoth sized mammoth steak) is if he heaped presents upon her on a regular basis, and more precisely, jewellery. It has been claimed many times that early men made holes into stones so he could put a stick into it and use it as a much better battering tool or axe, but the real use was to make holes in things, put a dried animal sinew through it and hang it around woman’s neck or arm, or hang it in the living room and lovingly say “Ough?!!” (Nowadays “Oughh?!!!” can be translated to something along the lines of “Of course I do?!!”). So what happened is that UgHUgHUgH had everything prepared for the fabrication of some pre-historic jewellery that fateful day: A twirling stick, a bow, some quartz sand, some pieces of wood, some straw to sit on, a collection of colourful feathers, dried flowers and some rabbit fur. UgHUgHUgH was working feverishly trying to hole a piece of wood when the stick got so hot it started to ignite. UgHUgHUgH did not have a lot of experience with fire. The only other time he saw a fire before he had to run like hell to prevent being grilled by a bush fire, so naturally he was a bit apprehensive. And when he frightfully threw away the burning stick the result was a disaster - but unintentionally he also invented the first throw-away lighter. But UgHUgHUgH was a fighter and not a giver-upper, he rebuilt the hut and perfected his lighter. The fire experience made him re-evaluate his personal life and he decided that he would start to work from home. He successfully applied for the position of valley medicine man and lived happily to a grand old age of 26 and was never cold again. Mrs. UgHUgHUgH was also much happier with their new found wealth and social standing.

The Flintstone Knife
Without the discovery of the stick, it would not have been possible to take the next invention to its full potential as well: Flint stone knifes.
Flint stone itself was discovered many times before, but usually after one of the potential inventors cut his hand on its sharp edges they threw it away as far as possible and tried something else. Only in the Neolithic period (plus-minus a few hundred thousand here and there) a very playful bloke called UH-UH-UH managed to get somewhere with it. As mentioned before, ALL great inventions start by accident and coincident! UH-UH-UH was trying to invent a game that he could play with his hunter gatherer chums when they were not hunting or gathering, normally between 16:30 in the afternoon until tea time on nice summer days. He asked Ah-Ah-Ah (his bestest friend and regular hunting buddy) to throw all sorts of objects in his directions, and he tried to hit them with his fire hardened club. (He hadn’t come to the part yet where he needed to figure out the scoring system and objective of this game, but the fact is that most games derived from these early experiments keep the somewhat primitive and confused Neolithic score system and rules). Anyway, the first throws with first dry, then fresh elephant dung were very unsuccessful and rather unpleasant to the nose, so he urged Ah-Ah-Ah to throw some harder, less smelly objects. Ah-Ah-Ah searched and sniffed around the floor a bit and found a completely odour-free object with exactly the right size and weight. When UH-UH-UH’s club connected successfully with the ball sized flint stone, it shattered into a few smaller pieces which were very sharp indeed. UH-UH-UH knew immediately that they were sharp because one of those splinters was stuck in his leg and hurt like *#$%^&*(# (In pre historic times *#$%^&*(# was the closest thing to our modern word of “Hell”, a concept which was only discovered much later in evolution). But being a clever chap UH-UH-UH figured out that if this stone could cut into his leg it might actually cut into Ah-Ah-Ah’s leg as well (he did blamed him for the whole episode) and chased him around the huts a few times shouting EeT! EeT! EeT! (the meaning of which is not entirely clear, but still today young children subconsciously re-enact this historic moment by chasing each other and shouting “it”, while young adolescent males in certain parts of the UK tend to run after each other with a knife shouting “You little shit shit shit”). After he calmed down (and due to the fact that Ah-Ah-Ah was a much faster runner than him), he tried cutting into an antelopes leg, which was really much easier than to rip chunks out with your own teeth, or someone else’s as in the case of his toothless granny. Over the next years UH-UH-UH perfected the art of smashing small sharp pieces off flint stone off a larger piece. At first, in line with proper scientific protocol, he had to reconstruct and verify the discovery. He immediately experienced a major setback as his assistant, Ah-Ah-Ah, was reluctant to participate. Ah-Ah-Ah had some health and safety issues with this experiment, he was specifically worried about the chasing-and-cutting-the-leg part of it. But after he was assured by UH-UH-UH that he would NOT chase him around the huts again, he agreed to help. UH-UH-UH of course honourably kept his Neolithic word (Uuuugh), and only chased him through the meadow and up the hill, when the next splinter pierced his arm. In time, Ah-Ah-Ah developed a self preserving, unique throwing style. Before throwing the stone, he would lift up the opposite knee to his throwing arm high up, concentrate, look around, especially to the back, to make sure the escape route was clear, and then suddenly release the stone. As the stone was just leaving his hand, and still in mid air, his still raised leg would rapidly come down and effectively be the first step of a successful escape run.
To avoid further injury, Mrs.UH-UH-UH and Mrs. Ah-Ah-Ah took some tough water buffalo hide and some bendy willow sticks and expertly fashioned some sort of protective armour that would prevent UH-UH-UH getting hurt. Over time this armour covered almost the whole of UH-UH-UH and that made chasing AH-AH-Ah almost impossible. But the chase, in their somewhat mystical holistic Neolithic thought process, was still deemed too important to the knife creating process, so he asked a third friend, Ugh-Ugh to help out. Ugh-Ugh took his very own club, and took up his position next to UH-UH-UH and once the flint hit the club he started chasing. In due time the mainly hit and miss tactics of throwing rocks onto a club was replaced by the similar ineffective method of throwing the clubs towards a pile of rocks, until that time when a flash of inspiration hit UH-UH-UH and he started to hit the rocks directly. In the end, UH-UH-UH was using all sorts of things such as stones, sticks and antelope horn to chip off thin blades of flint. He became a master craftsman and completely forgot about the game it all started with. If he hadn’t connected with the flint stone that fateful day but with his emergency food supply (a dried water buffalo testicle he kept in a small round hamster skin pouch hanging around his neck), he would never had invented the flint stone knife. Evolution would have caught up with it eventually, but it would have taken thousands and thousands of years because instead of inventing and developing knifes and tools early man would spend all his free time playing Cricket, Baseball, Hockey and Tennis and other similar games that involve a stick and a small hard ball.

Thats it for now, the rest will follow in due time :)