greatest inventor ?

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
who in your opinion is the worlds greatest inventor? and why and what one single invention beat's all others

ps before anyone (especially CH )say's Dr Cavor it must be a real person:)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
John Logie Baird - inventor of the television. Need I say more?

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
Salty25 said:
John Logie Baird - inventor of the television. Need I say more?

a bit selfish salty:) i would think that some people live quite happily without a telly

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
bronking said:
a bit selfish salty:) i would think that some people live quite happily without a telly

O-Ha i suppose so. mmmmmmm.... i guess medicine would have to be the best invention of all time, but thats very broad, and was a collective effort by the whole world.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
"Og ug og og ug!" (Neolithic for "Look mum - I've invented the wheel!)

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Llew said:

ug ug ug ug - alcohol, probably the most universal invention

ArPCPro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 80cm dish
PC: 2600K + 16GB DDR
My Location
Europe
Thomas Edison, who invented the light bulb. I would hate to have to use a candle or petrol lamp at night.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
Llew said:

Llew

good call Llew:)

a poll in 2004 had the following results

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
bronking said:
good call Llew:)

a poll in 2004 had the following results

The bicycle :-rofl2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, now there is difference between invention and discovery?

You discover Alchohol, but invent the steam engine, must say that I prefer the discovery over the invention, but could perhaps use the latter to make the former. :)

I would say that someone like Da Vinci has got to be in the running for the greatest ever, as he pretty much covered all disciplines, a true innovator.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
rolfw said:
I would say that someone like Da Vinci has got to be in the running for the greatest ever, as he pretty much covered all disciplines, a true innovator.

He had a good 'code' as well - LOL

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I can't say I'd class people like Thomas Edison, or John Logie Baird as the greatest inventor. Not that I don't like what they invented, but had they not come alone someone else would have come up with the idea, or at least something similar. One way or another we would have electric lights by now without Edison.

Not that I can thing of a better suggestion right now. For me it would have to be the inventor of something truly remarkable, that is not simply logical progression from the available technology, and either very ahead of its time or unlikely to ever be invented by anyone else.

The discovery/invention distinction is a very interesting one...did we discover or invent mathematics? Numbers?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Number systems? Count'em O-Ha

Arabic Egyptian Mayan Babylonian Roman Chinese Indian Greek

I think the use of zero in mathematics was first used in India.

Llew

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Llew said:
Number systems? Count'em O-Ha

Arabic Egyptian Mayan Babylonian Roman Chinese Indian Greek

I think the use of zero in mathematics was first used in India.

Llew

Number would have to be invented surely? Counting though is something humans have ALWAYS done, so its just part of us, if you get what I'm trying (very badly) to say. Counting is a neccassity for survival.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
(whoever discovered fire?).

Otherwise, Michael Faraday!

(He first revolutionised chemistry, especially with direct evidence for the discrete particulate nature of electricity and all matter.

Then, his discovery of electromagnetic induction enabled electric power generators and motors to be built, and started the worldwide electricity supply industry.

After which - although not himself a mathematician - nevertheless, his experimental discoveries about and thoughts on electromagnetic interactions were directly used by Maxwell to produce his famous "Maxwell Equations", directly leading to the discovery of radio waves).

PS, it's certainly not Baird, cos his tv systems were useless (that's going to annoy some people)!

(Or instead, should I have said Morton for anaesthesia, or Lister for antiseptic/aseptic surgery? Oh dear ......).

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
well it took 4 day's, but i just knew spiney wouldn't let me down:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
Salty25 said:
The bicycle :-rofl2

well... llew said wheel:D

a bike wouldn't get very far without any:-doh!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
PoloMint said:
One way or another we would have electric lights by now without Edison.
No, NO, NO

Edison did not, Not, NOT invent the lightbulb. Sir Joseph Swan invented the lightbulb. What Edison did was to patent a part of the electric light bulb that was thought to be common knowledge and therefore not in need of patenting.

Swan has been the subject of airbrushing out of history by Americans, who have to think they invented evrything worh inventing.

Edison was an inventor, yes, but first and foremost he was a businessman

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Hello Bronking, trying not to "let you down", but surely I'm allowed to go on holiday?

Yes, Paul R, agreed that Swan did invent the incandescent filament bulb before and independently of Edison, nevertheless Edison did do lots of work on finding the right materials - mostly by trial and error - to make it relaible and commercial. Having already lost one court battle, he agreed to share USA patent rights with Swan as the "Ediswan" company (in UK Swan stayed independent).

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan .
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison .

Regarding Rolfw's above post, perhaps the chap who invented the pull ring on beer cans ("throw away your can opener"!)? That's certainly an invention , you could hardly "discover" it.

(added, a rather grisly episode was the "war of the currents":
www.snopes.com/science/edison.htm#add .
(more detail): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents ).

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Cheese. I like a nice bit of cheese.

Discovered, not invented, of course.

Actually, cheese stinks.

It'll have to be cardboard. Or superglue.

Maybe Nylon.

Or gunpowder.

Yes, gunpowder.