Greenpeace hacks Astra satellite

My Location
Denmark
Weird stuff ... my reception has been pixily the last few days, ITV dropping out occasionally for hours at a time. Today when I turned on the telly - all satellite channels have turned green !!!! Seriously - reception appears okay, no pixilation, but everything is shades of green, only satelitte channels though, not terrestial channels ! Any suggestions ?

Also a tech question - is there any serious benefit to buying a 1.2m off-set dish as opposed to my present 1.2m pure-parabolic dish with center fitted LNB ?? Are we talking real or theoretical benefits ?

Soren in Denmark

oneill AT c DOT dk

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like a scart problem oneill, I presume that you are running on RGB?

Can't answer the dish question as i don't have the experience of both types.

Zorba

aka Skyman
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
If not a scart problem,then just power off the digibox for 5minutes.As for the pixellation problem,check dish alignment and connectors at both ends of cable.

rolfw said:
Sounds like a scart problem oneill, I presume that you are running on RGB?

Can't answer the dish question as i don't have the experience of both types.

My Location
Denmark
I dont think it is ... see the digibox menues, programlisting etc is all the usual blue and white (Grundig GSD300), its only the actual TV-picture which is green ...

Zorba

aka Skyman
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Did you power off and on?

oneill said:
I dont think it is ... see the digibox menues, programlisting etc is all the usual blue and white (Grundig GSD300), its only the actual TV-picture which is green ...

My Location
Denmark
Yep ... just did ... it worked ... weird though aint it ?

Any ideas about the parabolic vs. the off-set dish ?

Zorba

aka Skyman
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
these old grundigs get stressed easily,they need to cool off now and again.your power supply is probably on the way out,a common problem.
As for the dishes,not much difference I think except that as the round dish tilts back more,then when it snows it will settle on that dish and block the signal.
:-)

>COR<

My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Hi,

The Gain of an offset dish over the prime focus deminishes around the 1 metre range, both are equal at 1.20.

After that the prime focus is the same/better.

The advantage of the offset is that it's almost vertical and using carwax, snow and stuff doesn't stick :D

Cheers,

Cor.