ground setup of motorised system

newbie123

Reaction score
After much thought and with Rolfw's help i am plumping for the following system for my back garden in, south london:

technomate TM5500CIP PLUS
1m dish
36v motor
.3DB LNB
Matrix Relaoded Cam
Infinity Phoenix programmer
Blue tit card

Looking in Wotsat i found a London supplier that does the whole system [exc. installation, and cam/programmer] for £308 including beeper, installation kit and cables. I have a few questions for the knowledgeable people on this forum before i part with my money.

1] Is this a good deal for this system and dish size? [dish is a 1m Box 5, whatever that is]

2] I have a ground floor flat and want the dish to be in my garden, would this be more expensive for a pro installer to do normally than on a rooftop say?

3] Would i need a compass and/or other accessories to install the system myself?

4] What are the drawbacks of a ground system as opposed to putting it on the same wall as my sky dish [im concerned about noise of the motor]?

5] The shop has a list of reccommended installers independent of themselves but i first need to know how easy/hard it is to install such a system myself. On average how long would it take and what are the potential pitfalls?

Your help would be very much appreciated as this will be my first motorised system, thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A compass would be useful and of course a ground stand. Having your dish on the ground is great, much easier to tweak, but allow a weekend for the setting up. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
technomate TM5500CIP PLUS
1m dish
36v motor
.3DB LNB
Matrix Relaoded Cam
Infinity Phoenix programmer
Blue tit card

1] Is this a good deal for this system and dish size? [dish is a 1m Box 5, whatever that is] Don't know much about your receiver or dish, but overall price seems OK

2] I have a ground floor flat and want the dish to be in my garden, would this be more expensive for a pro installer to do normally than on a rooftop say?
Not a pro, but would think not!

3] Would i need a compass and/or other accessories to install the system myself? No, but would come in very handy. Can cheat and look at other dishes and guess etc, but as a first timer it may save you a lot of time. Don't forget to make adjustments based on Earth's magnetic field!

4] What are the drawbacks of a ground system as opposed to putting it on the same wall as my sky dish [im concerned about noise of the motor]? Not a lot really, as long as you have good line-of site to all sats you want. Easier to install down there, less wind loading, and easier maintenance! 36V motors do tend to be a lot noisier than diseqc, so may be a good idea to get it away from your house... Main drawback is that you'll not have anything solid to bolt it to, and will need a considerable ground stand. Don't cut corners here unless you want a lifetime of grief! Leagally, you'd be pushing your luck with two dishes on your wall anyhow.

5] The shop has a list of reccommended installers independent of themselves but i first need to know how easy/hard it is to install such a system myself. On average how long would it take and what are the potential pitfalls? Depends on whether you are a competant DIYer, and how much reading you're prepared to do in advance. Should take you a full day, or possibly longer if you have a lot of mounting/construction work.

Your help would be very much appreciated as this will be my first motorised system, thanks.