Grundig Or Panasonic?

Maxi 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sweden
Hello again everyone.

As you may have seen in my earlier post that I have problems with my panasonic 30.

As others have suggested and as I expect as well this is often happening due to overheating the CPU.

I have read that many suggest that the Grundig is as fast as the Panasonic and therefore godd for weak signals.

I have not heard of the Grundig overheating. Has Grundig got the same problem as the Panasonic ?

If not I might replace my panasonic with a Grundig. Reason being that if I pay to fix the panasonic (£65.00) it might overheat again and needing to be repaired again.

So am I right in saying that the grundig is better than the panasonic ?

Which Grundig modell is the best ?

Where is the best place to buy one second hand ?

Thankyou for your valued help.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have to say Maxi 1, given the choice between the two i would go for the Panasonic. If you get the Panasonic repaired, there are cooling kits available that you can self install, the repairer may be able to do it for you.

If you are careful and ensure that the box location is well ventilated and not sat on top of a video, you should have no real problems, even without the cooling kit installed..

Maxi 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sweden
Thanks Rolf,

I do not have the box on top of anything else and it has space all around it. I have the box also suspended above the wooden floor.

In Sweden the houses are warmer than those in Britain.

I would rather not have to fit a cooling set into a manufaturers box with the cooler supied by another source. I do see an insurance risk if a fire had started.

Does the Grundig overheat? is really my main question.

Thanks

Maxi 1

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that they all have the potential to overheat, the Amstrads are notorious for it, but me sister's one has been running well from the very beginning of Sky Digital.

If you are having a fan fitted I cannot personally see any problem with insurance, but if it is of concern to you then don't do it. With regard to your own box, although you may have the box well ventilated, the previous owner may not have and the damage was probably done then.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
If the total cost to you is 65 pounds,then it may be beter to have the panasonic repaired,but if postal charges are involved,then a Grundig 310/2 or 2000 are a very good buy for around 100 pounds.The casing on a Grundig is bigger and higher so cools better.Come to think of it if you buy another box you will still probably pay postal/packing charges,which even then makes a repairing the Panasonic viable.....so,having shot myself in the foot i will go and lie down.....................Brian

Maxi 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sweden
My worry is not the little difference in cost of repair to replacement but really more in the fear that if I fix the Panasonic is it likely to overheat again or is it better to have a Grundig (persuming that it has no history of over heating) ?

Thanks again

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
I personally think the Panasonic DSB30 is the most reliable and just as fast as the very latest digiboxes,only available now as secondhand units,so,buy a brand new Grundig 2000,if you can find one,i presume you need a "strong tuner" model to work outside of the uk.There is no reason to think that your original Panasonic will overheat again,that is if it overheated in the first place.Repair the Panasonic if you can get a three months gtee on the repair.................Brian