Guard your computer -- or else...

N

net1

These days, careless computing can be downright dangerous. A fact that The Washington Post makes as clear as crystal in this thought-provoking article on the many dangers lurking on the Internet.

The Post concludes that spam can bring fraudulent schemes and damaging viruses into personal computers, that hackers are constantly probing home Internet connections in order to gain remote entry and steal personal data, and that viruses can wreck hard drives, wiping out years of hard work.

According to the article spam accounts for roughly 60 percent of all e-mail, up from 18 percent 18 months ago. In 1995, the number of hacking or computer attacks reported to the CERT Coordination Center for cybersecurity was 2,412. In the first three quarters of last year, the number was 114,855. In many cases, each attack affected hundreds of thousands of machines.

To secure your computer The Washington Post recommends having an up-to-date firewall, having an anti-virus software package running at all times, downloading software patches as soon as they are announced, and backing up your files regularly.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Got all of that, but I reckon that if I wasn't using Mailwasher, I'd be receiving 90% Spam.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
rolfw said:
Got all of that, but I reckon that if I wasn't using Mailwasher, I'd be receiving 90% Spam.
Do you use the Pro version on Hotmail Rolf?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, gave up with the hotmail side Jimbo, was getting too many timeout messages and it was getting annoying, so just use their own spam filter now.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Snap! Cheers. :)

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Hi,

Router with NAT hardware firewall, ZOnalarm 4.5 Pro, Norton A.V. 2003 Pro, Adaware, Spybot Search &Destroy, Spysweeper, Mailwasher Pro, and a few more......

Cheers,

Cor.

:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
wot, no condom ?

So far nobody has mentioned auto disconnect timeout and password