Guidance needed

saucy77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Normal Sky Digital TV (Panasonic box), as well as a spare 80cm, and 50cm dish with extra Thomson Box
My Location
E.Anglia
Was wondering if anyone can help. You guys obviously know more than I do, so here is what I would like to do.

I currently have the normal setup of Sky Digital... Question for this one is, are there anymroe channels you can search for that are FTA on the normal Sky satellite.

My other query is, I have an 80cm White Dish (have no idea what it is made from, however it has come from the in-laws who were using it in the costa blanca to get sky channels) and a 50cm mesh dish that I can pair up with a Thomson Digi box.

I would like if I can set the extra box up to another satellite transponder to possiblty get some extra channels.

I'm working on getting a motorised dish, but the purse strings don't allow at the mo, so this is the next best thing.

I have no other equipment to use to set the dish's alignment, so it will be either N, S, E, or W i'm afraid until I can get a satellite finder (if thats what I need). I don't spending a bit of time playing with the dish alignment if I am gonna get some worthwhile use out of it... otherwise I may as well sell them all off. Just thought I would try and make use of it if I can.

Thank you fro your time in reading my post. It's hardly the best way to strike up a convo, but I do nee help, and you guys know your stuff!

Cheers

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum saucy77.

In response to your first question without knowing what you are currently getting nobody is able to answer you correctly click here and see if you are missing anything.

As regards your second question you will not be able to use the Sky digital receiver for other satellites as there are restrictions on the ability to search standard SR and FEC rates and the limit of 30 channels you can add extra, so without another stb I would not bother

saucy77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Normal Sky Digital TV (Panasonic box), as well as a spare 80cm, and 50cm dish with extra Thomson Box
My Location
E.Anglia
Cheers for the info Topper.

Having taken on board what you have said, it would probably be simpler to just get a new box and a motor for the dish.

Was looking around and came across Echostar DSB-707, would this work with a motorized dish? A friend of mine suggested Echostar and Manhattan reciever's.

Would you suggest changing the LNB also? I noticed it is stated to use 0.3db LNB, but I am not sure what one is on this dish I have. But I should be able to get a motor for it, i think.

Do you have any ideas on where I can source these parts cheaply. The cheapest I've seen the LNB is around the £29 mark excl p+p, and as for the motor, that would be my most expensive piece at present until the reciever comes along at around the £50 excl p+p.

I noticed there was a member who made he's own motor, this I think would be a great idea. But obviously being a woman, it's probably beyond my capabilties. (just noticed it was you, lol)

Open to all suggestions

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry I am not able to advise you on these questions as I have not bought a receiver for 6 years. Why not click on some of the advertisers on the forum and research what they offer or perhaps reading the forum you will get a better understanding of what direction to go in, certainly it is no good buying a receiver that does not have any support official or unofficial