Hard Disk Recovery

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
My IBM IC35L080AVVA07 (NTFS) hard disk is no longer recognised by the XP OS. I remain to be convinced that the problem is electronic or mechanical and suspect that the MBS and/or partition data have been destroyed by a virus such as CIH or Chernobyl, although I can't understand how any such malware penetrated the virus protection program and firewall (yes the software was up to date!!). I'm operational again with a new hard disk, but am left with a problem of data recovery from the old disk(no it wasn't backed up!!!!).

Anyone know of reliable and effective software (preferably freeware or shareware) that can rescue me?

:-googly

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
wolsty said:
My IBM IC35L080AVVA07 (NTFS) hard disk is no longer recognised by the XP OS. I remain to be convinced that the problem is electronic or mechanical and suspect that the MBS and/or partition data have been destroyed by a virus such as CIH or Chernobyl, although I can't understand how any such malware penetrated the virus protection program and firewall (yes the software was up to date!!). I'm operational again with a new hard disk, but am left with a problem of data recovery from the old disk(no it wasn't backed up!!!!).

Anyone know of reliable and effective software (preferably freeware or shareware) that can rescue me?

:-googly

wolsty you have a couple of oppitions right now. the easiest {imho} would be to set your new hdd to master and the old hdd to slave then run the set up warez that came with your new hdd. it should transfer your data from your old drive to your new drive. google data recovery and it shows alot of recovery and deleteing software some free some free trial. you can use dos 6.22 but sence you are using ntfs your going tp have to make a ramdrive to store the info untell you compress it to another disc.i know this is alot. if you make a choice and post back and i or someone else can help {walk you thru it}

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Not nice wolsty
first I would check what your BIOS is saying and if it is set to auto sensing for hard drive. It may be just worth saving the settings in the BIOS as they may be the cause before trying more aggressive things.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Agree with 13Echo.

By the way a lot of antivirus software is a few weeks behid the most malicious viruses out there

Wait a few weeks before plugging the old drive in and run it through the latest AV update

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Thanks, 13echo, topper and CH. I suspect I'll need more advice, and probably a walkthrough, before I'm done.

The 'new' disk is only new to my pc - I cannibalised it from an older computer, so I have no software or manual to accompany it. It runs well enough, but I can't copy from the IBM as yet.

The old disk isn't recognised in BIOS set to auto as a primary or slave, even when the jumpers are correctly placed, but I'll try inputting the parameters manually and see if that works.

I'm not too worried about viruses, as the disk has been retired from service for about a month and I had cleaned it with Norton and Panda before it crashed. I'll make sure that my av software is up-to-date and running before I try to open the files.

Of course, Sod's Law determined that the drive went down just as I was starting to back up the data because I was concerned about its erratic behaviour. Well, at least I tried to back up!

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
wolsty said:
Thanks, 13echo, topper and CH. I suspect I'll need more advice, and probably a walkthrough, before I'm done.

The 'new' disk is only new to my pc - I cannibalised it from an older computer, so I have no software or manual to accompany it. It runs well enough, but I can't copy from the IBM as yet.

The old disk isn't recognised in BIOS set to auto as a primary or slave, even when the jumpers are correctly placed, but I'll try inputting the parameters manually and see if that works.

I'm not too worried about viruses, as the disk has been retired from service for about a month and I had cleaned it with Norton and Panda before it crashed. I'll make sure that my av software is up-to-date and running before I try to open the files.

Of course, Sod's Law determined that the drive went down just as I was starting to back up the data because I was concerned about its erratic behaviour. Well, at least I tried to back up!

Your more than welcome wolsty. if you have the old hdd set to slave you should'nt have a jumper on it. that makes it a slave. on your new hdd to have it on master the jumper should be on the far left as your looking at it, cable select will be the next 2 pins one spot to the right.
i noticed you said your bio doesnt see you 2nd drive, it doesnt have to if you have the jumpers set right xp will see your drive and give you a balloon sating new hardware has been reconized if you click on the balloon it'll tell you what it is. go to "my computer" and you should see the drive click on it to open it just like you would the c: drive. then find the folders you want to back up. you can send them to the new hdd or to a disc which ever pleases you. now i believe this would be the easiest for you to do.in that you wont back up alot of junk you dont want. this way you pick what to keep or not.
after you got the data you want recovered i can walk you thru debugging that old hdd and that will wipe it completely clean. there would be no way of ever getting that info again. then reformat the drive and you have extra storage space.
i'm glad to hear you salveged that old hdd. theres alot of resources laying around in storage. alot of people dont use it. good for you.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
@ 13echo4. Thanks once again. I'll try your suggestions over the next few days.

I'm a little confused about jumpers, as the instructions on the drive (see attachment) show that they need to be in place both for primary and slave operation. Is this for BIOS recognition only? Will XP find the disk even if no jumpers are in place? What is cable select?

I've also attached a photo of the maker's label which shows the drive specs.

Seasons greetings to you.

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
wolsty,
sorry so long for my reply. cable select means that the the cable select the role of the drive. if you look at your drive where them 2 white jumpers are thats where you configure your settings. i really havent fooled around with ibm's but here we go. it looks like its set to slave. but most time {with most hdds} when you remove the jumpers it forces it into slave. i would try that. it wont mess nothing up.if it dont work then we can put them back.
yes xp will see your drive and give you access. think of it as a flash drive your hooking up. with the hdd having no jumpers. it cant struggle {have a conflict} with other hardware that you have. xp will see it has a storage device. i hope i'm of some help.
to remove the jumpers all you need is a pair of needlenose pliers and just pull them off.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
That's very helpful, 13echo4. I understand now. I'm busy with Christmas and family stuff at the moment and, since I have no urgent need of the data on the old disk, I'll not start tinkering until next week. I'll post again if I need your help.

In the meantime, the best wishes for the festive season to you.

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
wolsty said:
That's very helpful, 13echo4. I understand now. I'm busy with Christmas and family stuff at the moment and, since I have no urgent need of the data on the old disk, I'll not start tinkering until next week. I'll post again if I need your help.

In the meantime, the best wishes for the festive season to you.

you too. good luck.