Hard Drive

touchingcloth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hiya all,

Wife is at work...so I'm gonna finally get around to instaaling my Hard Drive. I'm gonna use a normal pc 5400rpm HDD and leave it outside of the receiver to avoid overheating problems. Anyone tried this?

Can anyone please tell me what the best way to format the hard drive is? Should I attach it to my pc and do a 'quick format'?
FAT 32 or NTSC?
Or..does it need linux on it?

Thanks in advance for any sugge :) stions

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
touchingcloth said:
Hiya all,

Wife is at work...so I'm gonna finally get around to instaaling my Hard Drive. I'm gonna use a normal pc 5400rpm HDD and leave it outside of the receiver to avoid overheating problems. Anyone tried this?

Can anyone please tell me what the best way to format the hard drive is? Should I attach it to my pc and do a 'quick format'?
FAT 32 or NTSC?

just format it from your DB

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
touchingcloth said:
Hiya all,

FAT 32 or NTSC?

Go to
h**p://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/
click on download section and get the English version of the manual.
Therein it tells you how to install and format the disk.
If you have a recent 7000, you wont have any overheating problems by installing it inside the DB. And if the hdd is not in a proper case, it won't last long . . . . .
Bite the bullet and bury it inside.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Are you taking the power supply from inside the DreamBox?

If you are then there's no point in having it outside.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Dream now recommend the CE drives by Seagate. They're specially designed for the DB and other STB's. Very quiet and very cool (apparently)...

touchingcloth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
BGonaSTICK said:
Dream now recommend the CE drives by Seagate. They're specially designed for the DB and other STB's. Very quiet and very cool (apparently)...

I'm gonna bury mine inside the Dreambox, using an old pc 5400 Fujitsu. I dont' want to fork out any money on a 'recommended' hard drive.

Do you all use these 'recommended' hard drives or any old 5400?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
touchingcloth said:
Do you all use these 'recommended' hard drives or any old 5400?

My drive came fitted and runs silent and cool.

Some images check the disks to see if it is on the approved list - a bit late then I would think!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
gameboy said:

Some images check the disks to see if it is on the approved list - a bit then I would think!
Oooh, I didn't know that.

@ touchingcloth, try it and see m8, but be aware of the power consumption of the drive, and the capacity of the Dreambox to supply it. I bought mine with a drive fitted so it would be covered by the guarantee.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:

Some images check the disks to see if it is on the approved list - a bit late then I would think!

Yes this is true thats why i bought a seagate one, Smooth as a babys b*m. Drembox formatted it as well in about 30seconds.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
My 2.5" 40gb Seagate Momentus run quiet & cool. I've got it taped down in the big open space in the rhs of the case :)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
racingclubuk said:
My 2.5" 40gb Seagate Momentus run quiet & cool. I've got it taped down in the big open space in the rhs of the case :)

And a 300GB maxtor is inaudible. It is filling up nicely with movies for the holidays.
Is it just me, or have MV stopped sending the English audio on movies lately? I have one or two expat m8s in France who bought the official TPS card cos they hasd English movies. I guess they're learning Fr fast.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
haggard said:
Is it just me, or have MV stopped sending the English audio on movies lately? I have one or two expat m8s in France who bought the official TPS card cos they hasd English movies. I guess they're learning Fr fast.
I noticed that too. Still a couple in English though. It must be French film season :)