Has anyone bought onspeed?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I have seen an advert for onspeed www.onspeed.com which claims to boost my dial up by 10 times for 24.99.
Has anyone tried it and does it really work?

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
It will boost their bank balance. Better to go for a broadband.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Jaffer said:
It will boost their bank balance. Better to go for a broadband.

Those were my thoughts also.It seems to get good reviews from computer mags.Where I live is just out of range for broadband.I just wondered if this actually works.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It is compressing data via a proxy server, then decompressing at your computer. It should give some benefits, but probably not as much as are claimed as certain content cannot be compressed efficiently.

There is a UK ISP called Freewire which uses similar software, but I don't know anyone who has tried it and I'm not keen on the idea of using proxy servers.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Does it sound too good to be true......

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
25 quid for a year is not expensive,especially if it were to speed up at least half of what they claim.My connection here is always 33.6kps and at my old address it was always 49.6kps.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I hear what you are saying and yes £25.00 is not a lot to lose and you may have something to gain but the speed gain is dependant upon the the length and quality of the copper from where you are to the exchange. Any corrosion on that route and the gain will be minimal. If you can only manage 33.6 at this address it suggests you are further away from the exchange than you were before.

rikksow

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Huge great Dish in Cyprus
My Location
Tomb Of the Kings
Hi Zorba

when did you last enquire about broadband. I have recently had it put in although Cyta told me just over a month ago that i couldn't get it where i live. I know they are upgrading all their exchanges to digital & you have to be within 4km of an exchange. I would try them again & find out when they will be upgrading your local exchange. I was quite surprised at how quickly they are updating the exchanges here in Paphos anyway.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
rikksow said:
Hi Zorba

when did you last enquire about broadband. I have recently had it put in although Cyta told me just over a month ago that i couldn't get it where i live. I know they are upgrading all their exchanges to digital & you have to be within 4km of an exchange. I would try them again & find out when they will be upgrading your local exchange. I was quite surprised at how quickly they are updating the exchanges here in Paphos anyway.

You may be right,actually i dont even know where the local exchange is,but like toppervte says the fact i have such a low dial up speed might mean theres a problem.I'll make enquiries.thanks

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Broadband is not an option for me as I work away from home a lot using numerous different phone lines and it is just not viable to pay the subs.
I've used onspeed for a couple of years and found the results vary.
On the whole it does speed things up a bit, but as mentioned earlier, if you can, go for broadband.
Hope this helps

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
I have an account for the year and use it in hotels with only dial up and no wifi, they also reduce the quality of images to lessen the bandwith.

Its ok but not great - you will notice the difference but not by much

z