Hauppauge 1100 "no channels found"

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I just bought a Hauppauge 1100-T Freeview receiver on ebay. The problem is that it can't detect any channels. I went for this model because of the built in modulator. My (fairly new) aerial is pointed at crystal palace and gives great analogue reception. The freeview box reports "Very Good" signal (bar graph shows over 70%) on the frequencies which carry the digital signals: 22,25,28,29,32 & 34 - but still, no channels detected.

Any suggestions?

J

Jeff_19341

Are you using scart or co-ax from the box to TV? It the box new? Do your neighbours get DTT reception from Crystal Palace?
:-hny

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I'm using SCART at the moment but have tried both. The box is secondhand, but the seller claims that he had it a couple of months. It certainly looks to be in A1 condition. I don't know if any of the neighbours have DTT.

I've tried connecting it direct to the aerial and also putting it after the signal booster. Makes no difference.

A friend of mine is going to bring his freeview box here and try it on my aerial to help track down the problem.

:-hnyto you too.

J

Jeff_19341

Well, according to Wolfbane you should get reception without an antenna upgrade in Uxbridge.
Always dubious about ebay. There will always be the odd crook who wants to get rid of dud gear.
Hopefully your friend with his box will be able to help track down your non-reception problem.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Uxbridge UK
My friend came over this evening and his freeview box works fine with my aerial, so that proves the hauppauge is faulty. I emailed the seller and he said that it worked last time he used it but he was willing to take it back if defective. I guess I'll try and return it to him.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I seem to remember having problems with someone's Hauppauge USB box, I needed to throw more than 60db of digital signal at it before it would find channels, most boxes will function with 45db or less. :)

J

Jeff_19341

Sorry to hear about your dud DTT box. Bite the bullet and spend out £30 at Tesco or Asda for a new one.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Yes. You're probably right about the signal Rolfw. I was thinking of picking up a £30 box, but I really wanted a box with an internal modulator and those are as rare as hen's teeth. I think I'll just have to get an external modulator from Maplin.

J

Jeff_19341

You could try putting the booster up in the attic, just as the co-ax from the aerial comes through the roof. Or add a mast head amp to the aerial if the box needs such a strong signal to make it hackle.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I called up Hauppauge tech support and they said it was definitely faulty. So I sent it back to the seller and he refunded my bid, but not the postage, so I'm down about £12 with nothing to show for it.

On the plus side, I went into Asda on Saturday and picked up a Mico STB235 freeview box for under £25. It's a perfectly good little machine, no problems at all.

Now I'm on the look out for a modulator so I can pipe the output around the house.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can always use the output from a VCR, but failing that Try Here for a couple of options, scroll down the page, there are two.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, from the same page, WTF use is this for a satellite dish?!?

skytronic_auto_antenna_rotator.jpg

J

Jeff_19341

Hi BG

"WTF use is this for a satellite dish?!?"
None at all as far as I can fathom but I was wondering if it was tilted it might pick up a few close satellites. Still trying to work out is the arc a circle anywhere other than on the equator?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Methinks it should only be used for TV aerials, directional radio antennas and rotary washing lines :)

Or maybe we'll see them appearing on the Citroen Saxos that race up and down outside my house at all hours. A functionless rotating sky dish would be an ideal stocking filler if only it had a blue LED effect...:rolleyes:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I have seen one in use to move between 13, 16 and 19 East, but apart from that, no use whatsoever.

But end of :-hijack and :-topic :)