Hauppauge DVB-s - advice needed

S

scottie

I have just purchased a hauppauge DVB-s card and would like to fit a motorised dish. Can any one advise if this is feasible and how i control the position of the dish.
The DVB-s card is the new type without loop-through.
Thanks in advance.
Scottie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the card has DiseqC 1.2, you should be able to use a DiseqC posioner £100ish, if it's only DiseqC 1.0, then you can still use certain positioners, or get yourself a DiseqC to 4 wire converter, you can then use one of the older style positioners with the capability to handle bigger dishes.

Rolf

S

scottie

Thanks for the info Rolf.
As this is my first venture into Satellite i want to keep the costs low until i test the water. Do you think a monoblock lnb would be a better bet. I am looking at one just now in the CPC catalogue for just over £40.00 It is set for any two satellites at 6 degrees apart e.g. Hotbird 13E and Astra 19.2E. Also, if i may pick your brains, what is the best dish to buy. Offset or not.
Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but i am learning as i go.
Scottie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The best dish to get Scottie, is the biggest you can afford (and are allowed). Sticking with the well known makes like ChannelMaster, IRTE, Lenson Heath, Hirschmann etc will produce good results, although some do have better performance figures than others. An 80cm minimum is recommended for two satellite reception and if using a monoblock LNB, make sure that it can operate under the DiseqC system offered by your PC card.

You've probably read in a couple of earlier threads that there is a software decryption package called MultiDec, this will allow viewing of otherwise unviewable channels.

Hope this helps

Rolf