Hauppauge DVB-S card has beaten me

S

satron

Been a subscriber to Europeonline for a few months and have had zero problems with the included Skystar2 card.

But video capture is a hobby of mine and the skystar2 doesnt really measure up, although viewing channels is fine.

So bought a Hauppauge DVB-S card thinking it would give me the best of both worlds, ie i can use the loop back for just data capture and when that system is off( so two cards are not powering the lnb at once) i could capture.

However i simply cannot get the WinDVB-s card to work, and to add insult to that, the current cards appear to be shipping minus the loop through (has a cheap silver sticker over there the connector would be...).

When i start up the DVB data service application, there is signal (~70%) and all is fine, i can even see the multicast streams..but give it about 5 mins and the smily face goes red and stays red until i reboot. Operating system is Win2k (sp2), system is a 1400mhz athlon , exact same thing happens on another system running winxp..

The tv application after about 20 attempts managed to scan 19.2 but did miss a lot of channels, and even then it takes several reboots before i can get one of the channels with sound and picture.

Am reasonably computer literate but this has me beaten, has anyone any idea of whats going wrong?

Should i just cut my losses and bin the card and go looking for a skystar1? (anyone know where i can get one of these that has a website in english)

Thank you for reading this long and rambling post...just damn exasperated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-02 AT 10:04 AM (GMT)]If you're using the drivers that are shipped with the card, try updating at the Hauppauge site, if there are none there, there is another site and I'll see if I can find the link.

Apparently some of the older drivers would not happily cope with data and video at the same time.

There has also been another problem with the Hauppauge cards, or certainly with the TV cards and that is that they used to dislike VIA Chipsets and also the S4 chipsets on some video boards.

Rolf

Genie

Make a wish
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 with 320GB HDD running Nabilosat 0.12
1 metre motorised dish. Intel core i7 920 PC
My Location
London
I have the Hauppauge Card and it works like a dream on my machine, which is an AMD Athlon Tbird 900MHz, with 32Mb Nvidia TNT2 graphics card, 256MB RAM. I too have the latest card, which does not have a loop through.

I have it running on WinXP and have downloaded the latest 2.08 drivers. Recording is superb because it has hardware MPEG2 decoder on board. You can record in PVA or MPG mode and it records without flaws. When played back you cannot tell whether it is a live signal or recording.

Make sure you completely uninstall the previous drivers before installing new ones, there is a utility for this on their web site.

You can also get third party applications that run the card. Some have very nice features such as on screen advanced EPG and more control of what frequencies to scan. Multidec and WinDVBLive are such examples. I think WinDVBLive even has control for DiSEqC 1.2. Meaning you can fully control and position a motorised satellite from the card itself.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-02 AT 11:49 AM (GMT)]Good info Genie, did you have problems at all with the earlier drivers?

@ satron, If the problem persists, try swapping the PCI slot, also probably best if both cards are not both installed, due to power requirements.

Rolf

Genie

Make a wish
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 with 320GB HDD running Nabilosat 0.12
1 metre motorised dish. Intel core i7 920 PC
My Location
London
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-02 AT 02:42 PM (GMT)]No, didn't have problems with the earlier version, but at that time I was running it on Win98se. Both new and old drivers worked.

I haven't tried the old drivers on XP, but then it's not worth trying if you've got the latest ones. The only thing with the new drivers (2.08) to note is that you MUST have Internet Explorer v5.5 or above for it to work.

Satron, as Rolf has said, I don't think its a good idea to have 2 DVB cards in the same machine. Try taking the Skystar2 out and then removing all it's drivers etc and just get the latest hauppauge software. You can use the Hauppauge card to receive data from EOL so theres not much need for the SkyStar card really.

S

satron

I've come accross this link on my web searh http://www.weethet.nl/english/isat_dvbcards.htm

which states "The Hauppauge is actually a TechnoTrend card, which is sold using the brands Techni-Sat, Galaxis and Siemens as well. These cards use the same software, with the exception of Siemens who developed it's own software."

Anyone see any reason not to just install the skystar drivers in this case from http://www.t-data.lu/rubriken/download/software/skystar1_208c.zip ..????

What do you knowlegable guys reckon?, anyone done this successfully?

S

satron

Well in case anyone is reading, i wiped windows (again) and did a clean install of the skystar1 drivers and software.....

It all works like a dream!! I am happy to say..everything works..cannot believe my eyes...

Didnt even have to tune in the channels, all i wanted was already installed as part of the package...recording works perfectly,..everything does...

The Hauppauge DVB-S card has NOT beaten me :)))

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Glad to hear it has a happy ending, I now seem to remember that one of the mods in the old starspeeder forum used to use the technotrend drivers with his DVB.

Rolf

kim1406

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi,

can you please let me know where can I buy the Hauppauge DVB-S card.
I need one website accepting international orders as I live in the Middle East.

thanks...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You can try this one http://www.digi-cams.co.uk/index.htm or http://www.pulsat.com/

Rolf