Hauppauge DVBs Users! I need your advice.

P

PCHEAD

I am about to make a decision to buy a Sat PC card. So far hauppague seems to be best for my purposes. Unlike many people I like to watch TV on my PC rather than on TV. I need your help in clarfying few things :

1- Does it overlay in full screen in 1024x768 resolution. If it does, is it true resolution or is it streching the image to the window ? Lets say true res of the picture is 640x480 but it pixelise it to 1024x768.

2- Does it drop any frames when under pressure like many capture cards do ? or this is not really a matter under overlay mode. I mean when in watch only mode.

3- Is CPU usage very high when watching channels only ?

4- How are the colours ? Are they true to actual colours like not too dark or too light or too red etc .

5- last question but an important one, can you log like you can with Nokias using DVDlive2000? I read a lot about this software but it is not clear if you can log with it.

Thanks for your help

PCHead.

J

Jim

1- Does it overlay in full screen in 1024x768 resolution. If it does, is it true resolution or is it streching the image to the window ? Lets say true res of the picture is 640x480 but it pixelise it to 1024x768.

I am not sure as you can't read the resolution setting when it has switched to full screen. I think it is 1024x768.

2- Does it drop any frames when under pressure like many capture cards do ? or this is not really a matter under overlay mode. I mean when in watch only mode.

No it does not, my pc is a 733mhz.

3- Is CPU usage very high when watching channels only ?

No, very low.

4- How are the colours ? Are they true to actual colours like not too dark or too light or too red etc .

Very good colours.

5- last question but an important one, can you log like you can with Nokias using DVDlive2000? I read a lot about this software but it is not clear if you can log with it.

I don't know, if you find out please post the answer.

BTW I have the CI adaptor which also works well.

Jim

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have not heard any bad reports on the Hauppauge Sat DVB Card, but I would suggest that you have a browse through their troubleshooting pages first.

I bought the TV card and had real problems with my Diamond Stealth 3 video card and also problems with the chipset on the motherboard. I ended up taking it out and it's now sat on the shelf. All of these problems were highlighted as known problems on the FAQ sections and if I'd checked the site first I wouldn't have bought it.

Rolf

P

PCHEAD

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-Jul-01 AT 03:05 AM (GMT)[/font][p]Guys,
Thanks for your replies. It is a lot of money and always a gamble when it comes to compatibility. Obviously I understood from Jims response that card is very good if it works but can be a nightmare if compatibility issues arise with the display chipset etc like Rolfw said.

Thanks again and I will definitely read teh FAQs now.

PCHEAD

verywiseguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
My Location
Malaysia
Hi

According to MLog v3.61 documentation, you can do logging using MLog with Hauppauge PCI card just like what you can do on DVB 2000. But I'm not sure about the type of data that you can log.

Rgds
VWG