Hauppauge Help

rtaylorhdc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Hi please forgive me if i sound like a thicko, im new to all this DVB card stuff and would love some advise from the experts before I part with my hard earned cash.

I am about to purchase a hauppauge Nexus DVB card, and a friend has advised me that I can then purchase a 1.0mtr dish package that will have all I need to make it motorised.

Here is my question(s)
Is the Hauppauge Nexus S capable of running a dish of this size and if so is it a good idea. ???

I was wondering if DiSEqC would be a problem or is the card compatable ?

Kind Regards
Richard

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Hauppauge DVBs is being used by some members to move a DiseqC motor with 80cm dishes, this is the predecessor of the Nexus. I don't know whether the Nexus will supply enough power to operate the larger dish DiseqC unit, required for the 1m dish and above, the manufacturers do not guarantee it on even the smaller models.

There is another option for doing this, you can use the older style 36volt motor and drive this by using a V Box, this will be controlled by the DiseqC signals from the PC Card.

Genie

Make a wish
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 with 320GB HDD running Nabilosat 0.12
1 metre motorised dish. Intel core i7 920 PC
My Location
London
Using Nexus 2.1 to directly run a Stab HH100 and 1 meter dish.

No probs here.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Think that better answers the question then Genie. :)

rtaylorhdc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Thanks very much guys, I think I will buy just the card off of him now and then look at a motorised package later on, jumping ahead of myself really.
Can I pick up some good channels from 19.2 for the time being ?
Is there anywhere that I can find out what channels I will get for free ?
Richard

Genie

Make a wish
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
If you are gonna have a fixed dish for the time being, you can always upgrade to motorised later;

I recommend pointing it at either 1 degrees west (Thor) , or 30 degrees west (Hispasat). Much better lineup than 19.2e or 13e especially for english language content. :D

rtaylorhdc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Thanks.
I have just had a look at all the channels that are broadcasting from Thor and it looks pretty cool.
Last question and I will stop asking dumb questions that's a promise.
Am I right in thinking that a combination of a motorised dish a Hauppauge Nexus S and some software eg: multidec 8.0 and I can start to enjoy all those channels for free ?

Richard

Genie

Make a wish
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
You may be correct there ;)