Hauppauge Nexus S

dazed

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I've been wanting a PC DVB card for a while now and being a cautious soul I've been doing a bit of research to try to find the best one for my purposes.

->I need a card that can do timer record to harddisk (hopefully in a standard format like MPEG2 so I can later DIVX it.

->Has the ability to support an extension CI module (might need it in the future).

->Is stable (mature drivers that don't nuke my machine in the middle of recording my favourite program!!).

->Doesn't need a degree in computer science to operate!:p

And so far I've come up with the Hauppauge nexus S. I've talked to a Hauppauge rep in the UK and he assures me it'll do everything I need (but then he would wouldn't he?)

Have any of you guys got this card? If so I'd love to hear from you. You know , just general opinions on it's stability, ease of use, features etc.

Also, my current sat gear is for analog so would I need to change my LNB etc. It's about 3 years old, 0.6db, Universal 22kHz tone switched.

Thanks for reading my dumb questions but I'm a bit new to this digital stuff!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You won't find many people with this card Dazed, as its fairly new, most people have the DVBs. The DVBs was a good card in that it worked with non-standard software and a softcam, there were a couple of different ones written for it

Whether the Nexus is similarly useful is to me unknown.

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi, i have had one of these cards for a couple of months now and would recommend it to you. The card is easy to install, configure, and use. You can record to hard disk in either pva, a standard for these cards, or mpeg2. It has a connector for a ci module. I have had no stability probs with the card, but some of the software available can be a little buggy but being free you can not complain. I believe that your lnb will be good as i started with one from an old analog system and it worked just fine.
This site will give you a better understanding of the card and applications available http://members.home.nl/happysat/DVB-SAT-Software.htm
Good luck.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you saying that the softcam programs work with it Iceeman?

dazed

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Iceeman

Thanks for the info regarding the Nexus S. You've given me the confidence to get one.

I'm going to buy the CI module aswell, it doesn't add too much to the cost of the card. These other pieces of software (on the site you linked to) look interesting. Are they replacements for the software you get with the Nexus (for viewing/recording).

Do the "soft cams" enable you to view encrypted programs? Do they need hex codes like in the old D2MAC days?

Where is a good source for information on this subject?

Once again, many thanks...

Andy :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at This Thread Dazed, there are a lot of links and quite detailed information about Multidec and the Softcam generally.

Yes you do have to enter Keys as well.

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hi, the software that comes with the Nexus is basically the driver which includes a viewing and recording facility. The other pieces of software all require the driver to be installed but provide a better front end with added functions such as dolby digital etc. I find watch tv pro the best for picture quality and functions but each piece of software has individual merits which you will find as you go along. The site i directed you to before also has a dedicated forum which should give you access to any resources you may need.

dazed

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Many thanks to everybody that has taken the time to assist me with this.

Its much appreciated..

Cheers....

kim1406

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
@ dazed,

Hi, just to tell you that I've got a Nexus card and it is so far the best hardware I got till now.

I've experienced Three type of PCI DVB cards;
1. SkyStar1 Technisat card
2. Pent@vision pentamedia card
3. Hauppauge DVB Nexus card

As I said, Nexus is the best of all. so, hurry and buy one...

Kim

hjg

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
I'm getting one for Xmas so, no doubt, I'll be posting lots of questions in the new year.
I was only able to find one UK supplier for the Nexus - unless all those guys offering the DVB-s were actually selling Nexus.

theslydog

Reaction score
My Location
moon
hjg

kim1406 is right - they are the best thing since sliced bread.

you can even set up the TT210b software to work with yankse!

Dont think just get one.