Have a doubt which card to choose

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar 1 + Motorised dish.
My Location
malta
I am new here, so please bear with me, if this question have been asked a milion time before maybe.

I am think of buying a sat pc card. I am deciding of buying eitheir TechniSat SkyStar 1CI TV PVR or Twinhan Vision DTV Sat-CI 1030A which one do you think should I buy and also, can someone point me out, to a good tutorial, (plain english) about satellite tv.
Thanks for your help guys.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The Skystar1 probably has better support, and is more popular (IMO).

This is as good a place as any to get started. Ideal for beginners, as we're a friendly bunch and we'll take it at your pace if you have any questions.

Plenty of beginners guides here too. :)

emcone10

Reaction score
hi, be carful with a sky star 1 i puchased one with ci module but the drivers did not like windows xp.
i would recomend the sky star 2 as it uses soft cam keys and works brilliantly with prog dvb, have fun!
emcone10

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Don't know of any driver issues, but it's possible. I wouldn't buy it for the CI, I'd buy it for the hardware decoding. Far superior to the SS2 (which I have and love to bits).

emcone10

Reaction score
OK maybe a iconpatabilty with my mother board, changing the subject can you tell me if its possible to pick up the italia bouqet with my ss2 ?

regards emcone 10

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, but not Pr!ma F!la or Sp*rts. Will all become unavailable very soon.

Use S2emu V1.14 with all the other files released with V1.12.

STICK

emcone10

Reaction score
cheers mate ill give this ago tomorrow and let you know how i got on

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
10x for all your fast replies guys.
Now I am interested in the following cams, dragon and magic cam and also some of the cams that are found on this website. _http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Satellite_CAM_s.html
Do you think that the Skystart works with those cams I mentioned above. I have to use some sort of cam, because otherwise, where I live, I am only able to recieve view free to air channels.

And what I meant by the question if someone can point me to a good websites, where I can learn more about satellite tv, I meant for tutorials, and stuff like this, to get me started, because I am not accustomed to certain jargon. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The Dragon is an excellent CAM, but you do realise that you can perform a lot of decryption in software emulators with the Skystar1 if you don't mind getting your hands dirty?

There are many guides in this forum. Many are included in 'sticky' threads, posted at the top of most of the individual sections.

Another good site is www.duwgati.com although it gets out of beginner territory pretty quickly.

Have a look in our links section for directions to many other high quality sites.

STICK

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
The Dragon is an excellent CAM, but you do realise that you can perform a lot of decryption in software emulators with the Skystar1 if you don't mind getting your hands dirty?

First of all stick 10x for your help.
What u meant by getting your hands dirty, u meant fiddlying with the card, electronics part. Or changing some stuff from the inside of the software which the card comes with?Because playing with software I am good at it, but playing with hardware, I am none :(
10x again, you and the others have been of a lot of help.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Fiddling around with the software should get you some encrypted stuff you wouldn't otherwise get without a CAM and a subscription.

I can only speak for the Skystar2, but I'm pretty confident that the SS1 will do some interesting things too.

;)

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP Professional, Skystar 2, TM5200D+ Super, 1m motorised dish [62E-58W]
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
BGonaSTICK said:
Fiddling around with the software should get you some encrypted stuff you wouldn't otherwise get without a CAM and a subscription.
;)

Going slightly off topic on this, DragonCAM users had S*y Ita*ia and Digit*l+ back a good few weeks before DVB card users did in late November. I realise things have changed now and it's likely ALL users will lose all channels on the two packages soon anyway, but it was certainly one (albeit temporary) advantage of owning a DragonCAM over just software.....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, very true, and I'm not knocking those who went out and bought Dragon CAMs, cards and programmers but if they had either a Dreambox or a PCI card anyway, they did pay a lot of money for a few weeks viewing. :)

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
BGonaSTICK said:
Yes, very true, and I'm not knocking those who went out and bought Dragon CAMs, cards and programmers but if they had either a Dreambox or a PCI card anyway, they did pay a lot of money for a few weeks viewing. :)

First of all thanks BGonaStick for your help.
I have some questions not directly related to the cards, but I dont want to open a new thread :).
Ok, I know your gonna tell me search the forum for this question, but I am gonna take a chance :). STICK can you gimme a link, or a website, so that I can see how I can make this happen.

And another question not directly related to the cards, is there a website which shows you, what free to air channels there are by country or latitude. I know about lynsat, but Its a bit technically, for a noob like me :).

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Lyngsat is really the best place to get the info you need.

One or two other places you might find interesting are :-

_http://www.kingofsat.net/en/

_http://www.ultimatetvguide.com/ppvguide.htm

_http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/frontpage.html

or check out our links section here.

This post in particular will help you :-

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=35748

Read through our PCI cards section here. It will tell you exactly how to set up the SS2, and you can modify it for your SS1. I know CAPI works with the SS1.

STICK

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
Many thanks STICK, once again.
Much appreciated.

FRAZER

Reaction score
Just to say, I presume the SkyStar1 CI you are talking about is the newer model which doesn't have hardware decoding (I believe), unlike the old SkyStar1 cards, so it wouldn't have any advantage in that sense over the Twinhan card. I also would check first that it is compatible with the many third party softwares that both the old Skystar and the Twinhan cards are.

Frazer

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
That's very interesting. I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out. I just checked on the Technisat site; it looks rubbish!

I just found this one on a very quick search, so I guess you can still get them with on-board ATM.

_http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?products_id=193

With no onboard decoding and no TV-out I can't see much advantage over the Skystar2 (other than the CI slot obviously). With a fast CPU and a top quality graphics card, it produces some great results.

Maybe you can track down a Nexus-S which is based on the old card.

_http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_nexus.htmlhttp://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_nexus.html

d_lamer2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
malta
Unfortunately now I already bought the technisat SkyStar 1.
I bought the card from here _http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=656&catid=1&subcat=7]

Strangely enough the information contain on this website, have more information than the technisat official site!

Just out of curiosity, the link that you gave me STICK of the technisat card in your last post, the card shown have a connection to connect the card to the sound card. The card I bought (I still have to recieve it by post), Does not have any connection for a sound card. Excuse this noobish question, but does this mean that I bought a card, which does not recieve sound?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I don't know about the sound card connection on your card. My SS2 doesn't have one, and it doesn't need one. :)

Fear not!