Have I broken my receiver? Please help.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Please can someone help? :confused

I have a multi lnb 90cm toroidal dish with 4-way diseq switch on Hotbird, Astra 1, Sirrius and Thor. It also has a dual lnb on Astra 2 going to my main receiver a digi-box. I use an A-B switch on my main receiver to split the Astra 2 cable and the common cable from the 4-way switch. (hope you're with me so far?)

Last week my signal on Hotbird started breaking up, and Ihaven't been able to get some of the transponders, (like the new Spice Platinum one for instance). I thought from a previous thread in 'Viaccess' that my connections were faulty or water was getting into the cable. I went up the ladder to re-make the lnb connections, and also replaced the lnb cable from Hotbird to the 4-way. Then... nothing! No signal at all on any channels or any lnbs. The only thing that still works is Astra 2 via the A-B switch, but that's on a separate cable.

I've since tried eliminating the 4-way switch and connected the common, (receiver), cable straight into the Hotbird lnb. Nothing.

I just went out with a multi-meter and checked for a voltage at the dish end of the common cable; I've got 4.3 volts when tuned into TPS movies.

What have I done?????

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Disconnect your receiver from the system and power off at the mains, then turn back on and measure the output voltage at the LNB connector of the receiver.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
or you could buy a new LNB,sounds like thats the fault to me.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
TWAG42, I would have assumed the same, but I have three other lnbs in use on the same system an nothing works.

Rolfw, I'll do as you say, but what am I looking for exactly? Should the voltage be up at 12v/14v or something to work?

Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Should be 13.8v or there abouts for vertical channels and 18v ish for Horizontal channels.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
rolfw said:
Should be 13.8v or there abouts for vertical channels and 18v ish for Horizontal channels.

Rolf, thanks. I tried this and could not get any voltage reading at the receiver. The odd thing is, if I use the other lnb cable from Astra 2, (same dish remember), I can get the vertical channels OK, but not the horizontal ones. But on Hotbird nothing :confused

I might try a different lnb, but not convinced its going to be that. If I have no voltage switching at the receiver, (GbSat), what do you think I need to do?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If it won't come back after disconnecting all cables and doing a disconnection and re-connection at the mains, then it is probably time to send it back from whence it came. Just make a last check in the LNB menu that voltage is turned on though. :)

PS. The voltage isn't purely for switching, it actually powers the amp and block convertor in the LNB as well.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Rolf,

It came from ebay, and has been perfect for the 6 months that I've had it. If the thing is buggard, would I still be able to get BBC Yorkshire and the like on Atra2? I can, as its a vertical channel.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Maybe you could try swapping your receiver for the Digibox in a friend's Sky setup. This would tell you whether your receiver is working or not.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
A low voltage from the receiver may well operate the LNb at reduced efficiency, but would not switch polarity, so the LNB would stay in vertical mode and possibly receive some vertical channels..

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
the switch could also be f....kd.id try a new switch before giving up.hope you solve the prob soon :-)

TWAG

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
From feedback elswher, (and here of course, thanks all), I now believe that my receiver power supply and/or tuner is faulty.

I removed my digi-box and plugged in the GBSat instead, (on separate telly), adnit is still dead, yet the digi-box works fine there. Note this is from the same dish and LNB. The reason that I could get BBC on the GBSat is that the twin LNB was being powered by the digi-box. When I unplugged the digi the GBSat stopped receiving BBC.

Can anyone elaborate on either powere supply and/or tuner. Does anyone know where I can get a spare please?

Cheers.

PWH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Loads of stuff
If it was OK before you went up on the roof and re-made connections then there is a chance you have a short on one of the connectors caused by one of the 'hairs' of the braid touching the centre conductor. Its easy to do. I would start at the receiver and measure the voltage from it, Hopefully around 12 - 18V.- If not you have a problem- connect the first cable measure at the other end for almost the same voltage and so on continuing to connect extra cables until you find the fault. process of elimination. Hope this helps.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Good steer PWH. You're right, this could have been the problem, only I have already measure the LNB connector on the receiver and only get 4 volts. I tried swapping the GBSat for my digibox and could not get anything, but the digibox worked fine again when swapped back, so not a cable or connector problem.