Have I killed my new dreambox?

Snelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s - Multi LNB on Triax 88cm - 13E 19E 28E
My Location
East Coast UK
hello

I got my new dreambox dm500s today. I was flicking about with it connected to my sky minidish. I decided to change the timezone to GMT, and it said it was updating enigma?? and needs to restart. I pressed green and now it won't start up. I've tried leaving it unplugged for a while, but whenever I plug it back in it comes up with a green/black alternating screen.

Is it dead?? :-(

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Not dead, more like flatliners.

Unless someone else comes along I'd suggest getting a null modem cable, read the Idiot's Guide and reflash it with a new image.

Welcome to the Dreambox world 'O'-red

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Snelly
You might try to flasherase it, I am not sure though how it works with the 500 (With the others you hold down the up button while you turn it on).

If not, you will need to flas a new image onto it. I don't think it is "dead", but you might need to do that. It 'll be ok. I played with my DB when it was 1 day old until it did the same...this is how the idiot guide started :D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
yep, everyone kills it and then revives it later.... only to find a month down the line they with they had left it dead :-rofl2

to be honest mate, you would have been bext to flash it with some pirated 3rd party firmware anyway.

the firware they come with is crap in my opinion

so flash it :)

Snelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast UK
Null modem cable on order from ebay, should be here tomorrow with luck. Will start reading the guides to work out how to flash it. Do you all have a favorite 3rd party image you suggest I use?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Gemini is popular and well supported. Available from i-have-a-dreambox.com

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Yeah, Gemini is a solid image that seems to work ok. I haven"t used any other for a long time...

Snelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast UK
I got my cable today and flashed it back to life! woo hoo. The gemini image I had didn't work, so I flashed it with the official one.

I went onto i-have-a-dreambox.com, but couldn't get registered. Will try later!

Thanks for your help.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i would try again with the Gemini image... its far the most popular

try downloading it again, maybe the last one got damaged during download?

good luck, and well done for the revival :)

Snelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Coast UK
I've come a long way in the past few days. I reflashed with Gemini 2.80 and then added an addon which has enabled me to watch S*y using my official subscriber card. Im a happy man! Now can't wait to spin the dish and see what else is out there. Thanks everyone for your help.

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Snelly said:
I've come a long way in the past few days. I reflashed with Gemini 2.80 and then added an addon which has enabled me to watch S*y using my official subscriber card. Im a happy man! Now can't wait to spin the dish and see what else is out there. Thanks everyone for your help.

:) Congrats....you have done great.

You now say.... 'Now can't wait to spin the dish and see what else is out there.', well I guess we should hear from you in about 6 months as there is quite a bit!!

Seriously, when the DB first came out there were not many people to guide us 'idiots', so we learnt a lot by trial and error and, long before the days of 'Flash Wizard', if all are honest, the null modem was a life saver...and still is!!

Hopefully soon you will be able to add some useful input to the guide that some of us have contributed to.

Think some of us might still retain the title 'idiot' as far as the DB is concerned:D :D

Enjoy.

;) lovelyperson

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
Thanks to the excellent advice on here, I managed to get a 500 on Saturday and flash to Gemini 2.80 in 5 minutes, 45 minutes to scan my three feeds, an hour to get camd working and I was relatively happy.

Sunday morning in bed got everything updated and resolved my recording to HTPC problem.

Today I've been on my balcony watching Brit Superbikes through VLC.

In between I've been converting .ts files into .mpg.

EVEN THE WIFE IS IMPRESSED.

But I can't for the life of me see why someone would want to have DM images loaded ;) :-rofl2 There's so much more out there beyond "standard" and 28e ;)

I feel I already got VFM out of this box - and I have a KiSS media player coming this week to "suppliment" my household. Helps that the whole house is Cat5e already :)

Overjoyed of Swissieland :)

I would recommend ANY Dreambox to anyone wanting to go beyond the "basic" :)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Good to know it was so easy for yourself.
Happy viewing

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well done Leee, nice going. If you have anything working that is not described in the idiot guide why don't you let us know?

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
The things I had problems with:
  • needed DreamboxEdit earlier; I kept scanning for channels I thought I never had
  • I think I needed to reiterate to myself that folder permissions do not make share permissions!
  • the need, I think, for movie nad perhaps hdd folders in the share?
  • clarification of which is the most functional cam emu and thus which to use

but that's about it. No dead Dreambox, no drama. Replaced my other box much quicker than I ever thought could happen - and in my media-connected home WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG??!!! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh! :-doh!

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
for posterity, I will today be getting a null modem cable :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2

Whilst cocking about with k*ys and emus I seem to have rendered the little box SUCK whilst trying to initialise the softcam. And this seems to happen before telnet daemon has begun....

Now, can I use null modem to telnet via com-whatever and login and kill the process? Delete the files and reboot?

Or should I just erase and dump Gemini onto the box again? :)

:-bash :-bash :-bash :rolleyes: :-bash O-st :eek: :-doh! :-doh!

FWIW I think I will try evocamd as I think camd_381f was causing my box to hang.....any experience offered in this area? Have you too seen box freezes using this softcam?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Leee said:
Have you too seen box freezes using this softcam?

Yes, but a reboot should clear it.

I would start again with the Null Modem cable. Makes everything clean again - don't forget to flash erase.

Can you not use Newcamd as it seem to be the most reliable?

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
gameboy, rebooted 100 times, I see the camd_381f daemon sucking up CPU and pushing load up and I do believe the daemon ain't loading but ain't croaking so I'll erase and start over; won't take me long ;)

I think in the early day (since I've only had it 9 days I suppose they're all early) I loaded all softcams up as I failed to set any to initialise.

So erase, flash, remember how my DiseqC is ordered and scan, edit my Buckets (;)) and install one cam, not the f--king lot :-bash, remount my HTPC share and then BACKUP ;)

Thanks for the feedback on newcamd...I'll take a pop with that. camd_381f was causing the box to lockup but only when recording.....PITA... 'O'

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
one clean puppy later with only newcamd and k*ys installed and share mounted and buckets cleaned up and records and the biggie seems to be 15% CPU load as opposed to 100%.

Snappier to telnet and use web interface too :)