Have S*y and dud LNB - receiver/dish advice req

jghelani

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
S*y
My Location
London
Hello,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice (I have searched posts a number of times and am still confused - gives you an idea of my abilities (lack thereof).

Missing certain channels (no satellite signal being received, E4, ITV2/3 and more) on S*y - told that engineer required.
Easy & cheap option would be to replace LNB myself, however picture often breaks up due to bad weather.
From reading posts understand that an 80cm dish with universal lnb would resolve these issues.
Grateful for confirmation of this.

If the above is correct, need to purchase a new dish & lnb anyway, have thought about getting a multi-lnb dish and independent receiver/dvr - receive extra channels from several sats and ability to record. Can an appropriate system be recommended? Heard much about Dr*ambox & Tech**mate recently (patches, slots etc.)

I hope I am able to reciprocate (some time).

Thanks,

J

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Might be the LNB, might be just misalignment, could even be the digibox, is it an old amstrad?

You've posted this in the Sky+ section, but you don't mention a quad LNB, so I presume that you don't have Sky+?

jghelani

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
S*y
My Location
London
Rolf,

Sorry about mis-posting.
Its a PACE box, SKY (not +), standard minidish.
Signal strength/quality seems OK.

Thanks,

Jay

rolfw said:
Might be the LNB, might be just misalignment, could even be the digibox, is it an old amstrad?

You've posted this in the Sky+ section, but you don't mention a quad LNB, so I presume that you don't have Sky+?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It may do on the default transponder, but you need to go into the manual tuning menu and add the transponder frequencies for those channels to see what they are showing. The minidish should be adequate for reception in London and an 80cm is overkill, but if you are looking for multisat reception, then you may as well upgrade to something like the Raven Gemini 90cm and pull in 28.2, 19.2 and 13 East and lose the minidish. :)

Will move this to the right section. :)

REBEL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm dish
twin lnb
fortec star receiver
stab HH120 motor
My Location
middlesex
Jeghalani,

Have you been with sky long, and do you subscribe to the Sky package?

jghelani

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
S*y
My Location
London
Rolf,

Thanks.
Any recommendation on the receiver?
Seen recent comments recommeding both Dreambox, Technomate 1500 etc.

Jay

jghelani

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
S*y
My Location
London
Yes, subscribed for last couple of years - minimum family package

REBEL said:
Jeghalani,

Have you been with sky long, and do you subscribe to the Sky package?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I like the Dreambox, and having now used one for a while, I can't see myself returning to a more conventional type receiver, as I like to be able to record films and on occasions write them to DVD. Having said that, with the ability to flash these Technomates and similar receivers, they certainly are very flexible.