Have Signal but no signal

kangacats

Reaction score
HI, I might seem dumb but please can someone help. I bought a second hand digibox (Grundig) from ebay. I plugged it in to my existing system (is for my caravan and I have a seperate dish for that)to test it and I get a message on the screen saying "no satellite signal being received". I go into set up and it tells me I do have a signal ie the bar is full of grey (as I must have for my existing box to work) but all the other fields are at "0000" or no grey filling the bar or "not locked" . I try my old box and its fine. Ive tried it with my card but it does not even recongnise its there! The lovely chap I bought it of is a con merchant as I have tried to contact him for two weeks (be aware of seller "mainsyuk" on ebay) and he seems to have disapeared up his own ....! I have an signal amplifier and have tried using that and it makes no difference, Ive tried too many things to list. Please help me if you can, many thanks, Kangacats.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately it sounds like you have bought a box with a knackered power supply, you can take it out and get it repaired for £17 or so from www.mces.co.uk. Either that of course or make a claim on Ebay or paypal for recovery of your money.

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You will probably have to do what rolfw suggests.
I can confirm though that if you are talking about the signal STRENGTH bar being full of grey, it is not very relevant.
When I fiddled with setting up my system, there were times when the strength bar was showing 100%, while the quality bar was showing nothing, the result being 'no signal received'

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Looking @ the sellers history, it would appear he bought the digiboxes at a very competitive price!! see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=298&item=5710852490

A big problem dealing on ebay with sellers who "change identity" or vanish when you have purchased goods.

Best to deal with a reputable seller,may pay a little more but have a back-up service if problems are encountered.

kangacats

Reaction score
Hello Rolfw, Thanks for your reply. like I said im a bit dumb so Ill just try to calrify. I do have power on and the box comes on but there is another component inside that hasnt got power, thats why it has a signal but dosent do anything with it?
Thanks, ED

rolfw said:
Unfortunately it sounds like you have bought a box with a knackered power supply, you can take it out and get it repaired for £17 or so from www.mces.co.uk. Either that of course or make a claim on Ebay or paypal for recovery of your money.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there ia a unit inside the box which regulates and distributes the supply to all of the box components, this is what is probably faulty.

kangacats

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Yes, there ia a unit inside the box which regulates and distributes the supply to all of the box components, this is what is probably faulty.
Thanks Rolfw, I am triyng to find some one local (Northants) to repair it.
Still cant get hold of the rougue who sold me it!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't try locally you will pay too much, just remove it, only 5 or so screws and a simple push connector, then post it off to MCES, it really is very easy.

See HERE for pictures of the unit.