Have to keep changing transponder

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish, dual LNB's, Echostar 616
My Location
Essex, UK
I have a twin lnb set up on an 80cm dish, the main arm lnb pointing at Hotbird and the second one on a standoff bracket pointing at Astra 28.2E. I set everything up about 3 weeks ago and have been having problems with Astra ever since. Thinking that maybe because of the offset on the Astra lnb the roof of my house was affecting the signal, on Monday this week I moved the dish up the pole by about 18" and now there is no doubt that it is in clear air! However, I set everything up on the strongest transponder and though all was OK. The next day I get the "no signal" message on some of the channels - notably BBC1, 2, 3 and 4, ITV 1 and 2 etc. I go into the set up menu and find another transponder with the strongest signal and bingo, I have all the channels again. The next day will be the same story, search again for the strongest transponder. Strongest quality I have seen is 80% with 60% signal strength. What I haven't done though is write down which transponders I have used. Any ideas what is going on here please?:confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you running this through a DiseqC switch? It may perhaps be a problem with the switching. Have you tried a factory reset on the receiver and setting up from scratch?

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
rolfw said:
Are you running this through a DiseqC switch? It may perhaps be a problem with the switching. Have you tried a factory reset on the receiver and setting up from scratch?

Yes on both counts. I did have some problems initially with the DiseqC until I established it needed Tone Burst selected on the receiver set up menu. After that I did a factory re-set. Also sometimes when I switch back from Astra to Hotbird, I get "no signal" but if I switch the receiver to stand-by then on again, everything is OK. Is this a related problem perhaps?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it is a standard DiseqC switch, it doesn't use toneburst, it uses DiseqC switching.

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
rolfw said:
If it is a standard DiseqC switch, it doesn't use toneburst, it uses DiseqC switching.
Thanks for that, I will have a play tonight, but this is the problem I had previously. I couldn't receive Astra at all when the receiver was set up for DiseqC switching and after lots of messing about, I got it to work with Tone Burst. There is obviously a fundamental problem somewhere and it looks like it may be the switch after all?