My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
Hi there, I am trying to put up a non motorised dish on a post which is mounted on the ground. Been to see some of the tutorials here and found that they are for motor dishes. I am wondering if the angles referred to are the same for both systems.

I have been to www.heavens-above.com and got my latitude/longitude/elevation as follows:

Latitude = 51.378
Longitude = -2.381
Elevation = 73 m

And then I went to www.satsig.net and find my dish settings:

Dish azimuth (deg E relative to true north) = 176.95
Dish azimuth (deg E relative to magnetic north) = 181.56
Dish elevation (deg) = 31.14
Polarisation tilt (deg) = -1.9
Polar mount main axis angle (deg) = 52.06
Polar mount dish offset tilt (deg) = 6.75

Surely, I dont need all the information above. The things I know now is to point my dish to the South using a compass.

Do I use 31.14 as dish elevation when using a non-motorised dish? (I have only 1 bracket between the ground pole and the dish to adjust the angle of elevation).

Also, is the dish azimuth here pointing to anywhere specific? Like a specific satellite? I am quite confused with the other values as well. Would you be kind enough to give me a breif explaination. I want to point to the popular astra and test if my SS2 is working or not.

Cheers!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, you have way too much information there. :)

If you are only going to point at one satellite, you need to tell us which one, then we can give you the data you need, or you can download the calculator from www.smw.se .

You would normally only use azimuth, elevation (not your height above sea level) and skew/polarisation tilt for the individual satellite you require

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
are there any recommended satellites? The ones with most stuff

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It depends on what you want to watch, you probably wouldn't go too far wrong with either Astra 19.2 East, or Hotbird 13 East, but preferably both, using either two LNBs or a monobloc. :)

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
if i want to go for Astra 19.2 East then do i make an elevation of 31.14 degrees. But im still not sure about what arizmuth i need. Great if u can guide me into calculating it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Download the Swedish microwave calculator I've linked to above, you can input your position and the location of the satellite and it will give you all of the details you should need.

Even after lining up with a compass, you will still need to move the dish whilst watching the signal level on the receiver to align the dish though, it needs to be withing half a degree.

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
elevation is the imporatant bit right, so 31.14 needs to be precise but i am not sure if this angle is relative to ground or sea level

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
Im using the program now and i know which way to point the dish now. Can u by any chance tell me what polarization angle mean?

Timerman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kaon 570ksc
My Location
Tyneside
at221 said:
Im using the program now and i know which way to point the dish now. Can u by any chance tell me what polarization angle mean?

Polorization is where the dish is twisted slightly to the left or right

Basically to install the Dish you need a Vertical pole, otherwise the dish settings need to be altered to compensate, attach your dish securely pointing in the general direction of the satellite you require reception from, tighten all brackets so they are reasonably tight but still allow movement.

Now connect your Sat Finder Meter, move your dish left to right gently to locate the signal, once located and your getting a strong signal move dish gently in an up and down motion to see if you can get signal strength stronger, once you have the strongest signal tighten all bolts fully, now gently ease LNB or Dish clockwise or anti clockwise to see if signal is improved, if it is then adjust accordingly and tighten LNB or Dish.

Your are looking mainly for a reflected signal from your dish onto your LNB

You need the Height up / down

The whole Dish Left / Right

Then polarization which on a large dish with the LNB supported by 3 arms holding LNB across centre of dish, the polarization is gained by rotating the LNB left or right.

If its a Sky Digital Dish the polarisation should be ok but the use of a sat finder meter although not essential, would definitely help you get the best possible signal, bear in mind that just being 2mm off line with the satelitte in Bath could finally be pointing 200 miles away from the satellite in Space

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It is the amount the LNB is twisted in the bracket, it is to compensate for the curvature of the arc, the satellite you are looking at is at an offset angle to your location.

The elevation angle will not be hugely different whether you are sea level or 100 feet above, the satellite is thousands of miles away, you will still need to fine tune the angle by using the meter on the receiver.

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
I have accidentally created a few sparks at the cable connection to the SS2 (connecting cable while computer still on), is my SS2 damaged?

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
carry on as normal, time will tell