politby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield TF6000PVR, Wavefrontier T90,
Triax TD110, SkyHD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Greetings,

New to this forum, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but here goes: I've just installed a 90cm toroidal dish (Maximum/Wavefrontier knockoff) with four 0.2dB quad LNBs (also Maximum).

I have configured the four LNBs for Thor 0.8W, Sirius 4.8E, Astra 19.2E, and Astra 28.2E.

I installed the dish on my roof myself, but had a professional installer adjust all the details - azimuth, elevation, skew, etc. My location is 59.29N 18.22E (just north of Stockholm, Sweden). I'm using a Topfield 6000PVR receiver.

The issue I have is that I have excellent signal quality on the 2A/2B north beams, while my receiver doesn't seem to be able to pick anything up on the South beams. The sat footprint maps on lyngsat.com indicate I should have no problems getting the South beams in my location with my dish size. So the question is if this indicates a setup problem, or if my reception on the south beams is a borderline case in my location despite what the footprint maps say.

I'm about to order a SkyHD package. Will I be able to get all the Sky HD channels even if I can't get the south beams? Are all the HD channels broadcast on both beams or are some on one and some on the other?

Appreciate any suggestions.

thx
P O Litby

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
Amstrad dx90 sky+ h.d box
My Location
stockholm
hi there
i am also in stockholm and receive all channells on sky but with a much bigger dish (1.4 metre)the best you can do is p.m likvid he is our skydigital stockholm expert on this site because that dish sounds a little small for 4 lnbs to me. in the meantime check out www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk and find the footprint page i think they are a little more realistic than lyngsat
good luck t.m

politby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110, SkyHD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
t.m said:
hi there
i am also in stockholm and receive all channells on sky but with a much bigger dish (1.4 metre)the best you can do is p.m likvid he is our skydigital stockholm expert on this site because that dish sounds a little small for 4 lnbs to me. in the meantime check out www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk and find the footprint page i think they are a little more realistic than lyngsat
good luck t.m

Well, I can agree with the need for a large dish to receive Astra 2D (the narrow beam transponders) but both north & south beams on 2A/2B should be OK on a 90 cm toroidal (which can support up to 16 LNBs by the way). Will PM likvid to see what he says - is he Swedish?

thanks

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
My Location
stockholm
yes i think he is swedish. if you look at the footprints on the web site i sent you earlier you will see that a 90cm dish is right on the limit to receive the south beams in stockholm
good luck t.m

politby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110, SkyHD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
t.m said:
yes i think he is swedish. if you look at the footprints on the web site i sent you earlier you will see that a 90cm dish is right on the limit to receive the south beams in stockholm
good luck t.m

No "likvid" user on this forum. Any other contact details? Please PM me.

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
My Location
stockholm
yes there is do a search at the top of the page and you will find him

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Most of Sky's HD channels are on the south beams. Only two are on the North. You'll need to raise dish size to get them if the existing system has been set up to its maximum potential.
Why not try to get BBC HD? It's free and the picture quality is very high indeed.

politby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110, SkyHD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
snap said:
Most of Sky's HD channels are on the south beams. Only two are on the North. You'll need to raise dish size to get them if the existing system has been set up to its maximum potential.
Why not try to get BBC HD? It's free and the picture quality is very high indeed.

Well, thanks everyone who responded. I've decided to bite the bullet and put up a 1.2m Channelmaster in addition to the toroidal as it seems no manner of fiddling will get me the south beams. I hear the toroidal 90 is more like a 50 on the outer edges of the rail.

The investment in the toroidal isn't a complete waste anyway since I get Thor, Sirius, Astra 1 and Hotbird with excellent S/N - all on the same dish.

"It costs a lot to be on top" as we say in Sweden. :)