HDD for Computers vs Sat-receivers

al_madhi

Reaction score
My Location
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi , ppl wondering is there a difference between computer HDDs and Sat-receivers HDDs or are they the same . Please advice .

Best Regards

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They are the same, but there are only certain ones which work well with PVRs, normally the slower ones with quiet modes.

al_madhi

Reaction score
My Location
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
rolfw said:
They are the same, but there are only certain ones which work well with PVRs, normally the slower ones with quiet modes.

thanks rolfw for reply

I have Humax PVR 8000 and its HDD is full now and I need to replace it by a new one , All Dealers selling Sat-receivers PVRs they do not carry HDDs , they tell go and buy them from Computers hardwares stores . You said there are certain ones work with PVRs which are slower ones , Can you please elaborate on them such as what are the speed , model number , capacity suitable for PVRs , Because when I go to computer hardware stores , they do not know anything about Sat-receiver PVRs , They might give me HDD for computers . therefore I want to make sure to get the right HDD for my sat-receiver PVR . Please advice .

Best Regards

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You could post the full details on this board or have a look yourself on the seagate website here or Email them with your details and what to replace it with

bigsinky

DVB Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m triax motorised from 28.2e to 30w, relook 400, dreambox 7020, DM500, skystar1, nokia 9500,humax FTA, full 7.1 home cinema

xp4600+ @2.7GHz(aircooled) , 4.5TB HDD, 4GB SDRAM, Dual 8800
My Location
Belfast
just bought a 320GB drive for my relook. its is a western digital. it's a 7200 rpm 8mb cache. the blurb says it is especially good for av and digital recording. should be able to get some hours on this baby.

al_madhi

Reaction score
My Location
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
toppervte33h said:
You could post the full details on this board or have a look yourself on the seagate website here or Email them with your details and what to replace it with

thanks toppervte33h for reply

I looked at the seagate website you provided , and I found a full details about the 120 GB HDD which I bought to replace the old one , shown below

Model Number : ST3120022A
Model Name : Barracuda 7200.7
Capacity : 120 GB
Interface : Ultra ATA/100
RPM : 7200 RPM
Seeek Time : 11.5 ms avg
System Type : DPC
Average Read Time : 8.5 ms
Cylinders : 1023
Heasd : 256
Sectors : 63
-------------------------------------
But neither Seagate nor Humax tell in their websites if the above HDD is suitable for replacement for my Humax PVR 8000 . Please advice .

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well that is OK but I was asking for the details of the drive you are replacing not the new one you have bought! If you have already bought one what exactly is the problem now... are you just checking you have made the correct choice?? if so do as I mentioned before Email the details of your old drive to seagate and then tell them the details of the drive you have bought and ask them if it is compatible.

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
ummmmmm cant he just reformat the old drive and it would be clear again? i'll go check it out myself i'll be back later.

i really did'nt find what hdd is in the humax, it seems that it could have a seagate which i doubt you got the ld 25. but anyway unless you feel the drive is to small and just looking to upgrade i believe you could pull it out of your reciever and set it to slave and hook it up in your pc and reformat it and it would deleted. this would just cost you about a hr tops of your time. if you dont mind please post what kind of drive is in your reciever. a pic would be nice also.

al_madhi

Reaction score
My Location
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
toppervte33h said:
Well that is OK but I was asking for the details of the drive you are replacing not the new one you have bought! If you have already bought one what exactly is the problem now... are you just checking you have made the correct choice?? if so do as I mentioned before Email the details of your old drive to seagate and then tell them the details of the drive you have bought and ask them if it is compatible.

Thanks toppervte33h for reply

The Details of the drive I am replacing shown below :-

From the user manual , This is what is written :-

HDD :- For proper working specific models of seagate HDD are recommended
( e.g. 60 GB : ST360020ACE )
----------------------------------------------------------
Storage :- HDD :- 40GB, 60GB , 80GB selectable and expandable
Reading Time :- Average 22Hr/40GB , 33Hr/60GB , 44Hr/80GB
in 4 Mbps bit rate
( The HDD in the receiver is 80GB )
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I looked at www.seagate.com and www.humaxdigital.com to find this HDD model number ( HDD : ST360020ACE ) I did not find it .

Best Regards