HDD reliability

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
This is a interesting and scarey thread I need two new drives for my nas box.The two 500 gig raid 1 drives are full. Instead of delleting the dross,and sorting the hundereds of dupliate photos.I have decided to install two 1 TB drives,and start again.Hitachi look the best but a bit pricey for me.
I have three WD passports.All working well.Currys have 1TB WD drives that look the part 49.99 each.The NAS only gets turned on occasionally when I need it.Maybe once a week.I think that they will do for me.
One of the scarry things mentioned is dirty shutdowns.
To shutdown my DLINK-320 box I have to hold the power off,button untill it flashes,then wait for it to shut down.It take awhile,so I normaly switch it of at the socket.No dead drives ,And they are seagate barracuda Drives.:)
Though with new 1 TB drives installed I will take more care shutting the box down.
I notice that these WD drives are SATA 111.I presume that will not be a problem

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I don't know where I got the idea that Hitachi drives were expensive.Amazon have one at £39.:)
Though I think that I will get the WD 1TB Red Network Drives.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
To avoid dirty shutdowns I considered a single-board computer as some have cheap ups solutions but then there is hard to find a board with more than 1 sata port. There are adapters but boards with a miniPCIe slots are rarer. It would be a fun project to piece things together but I just wanted to get up and running.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
"I don't know where I got the idea that Hitachi drives were expensive"

Hitachi bought HGST - HGST NAS drives had a reputation second to none. My NAS has WD Reds but I'm also using a pair of external Hitachi HGST 4tb drives that are mirrored and no problems so far :-)

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
The cheap Hitachi drives that I mentioned No HUA721010KLA330 .Appear to be older drives.Reviews are not good.
The WD red Network drives are more expensive and a little slower than 7200rpm drives.But I know what I am getting with them.They are optimized for small NAS boxes like.mine.I will be getting them tomorrow.
I like battenfans idea .but it would be a bit over the top for me.An easier solution to dirty shutdowns in my case will be to put the NAS power plug on the same socket as my router.That dose not get switched of very often.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Looks very like Palimpsest, the inbuilt Disc Drive monitor and SMART data analyser that comes as standard with all major Linux Distros.

Very useful tool, as I have found when SWMBO's Laptop HDD was beginning to fail.