HDTV in the UK

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Since we both went OT ages ago - i'll elaborate. Probably doesn't help with me flitting between DVB-S and DVB-T:-ohmy

spiney said:
"12 for the price of one" - I thought - referred to re-use of existing bandwidth via compression, in fact impossible at that ratio. So, what did it actually mean?.

Statistical multiplexing has allowed operators on both DVB-T and DVB-S platforms to maximise bandwidth use. See my attached pic for an extreme pisstake example courtesy of Viacom (not MTV:-ohmy )

spiney said:
Yes, there were many factors in On Digital's collapse, but poor cofdm performance was certainly a major one (they didn't get enough revenue - partly because - not enough people could get the signal!)..

I wouldn't say partly, I would say completely because OnDigital ran their DVB-T transmitters on paraffinised hot-air. Reduce signal strength and its not going to travel/penetrate. Todays figures still show that DTT signals typically reach half the distance as their analogue signal friends (e.g. figures after so-called Freeview signal 'boost').

Compare: Crystal Palace (London): MUX D / 16-QAM / 20kW / 18 services
Compare: Alexanderplatz (Berlin): MUX 44 / 16-QAM / 120kW / 4 services

Though, to be fair you have 6 MUX's and we have 8 - and we've 'switched over'.

Mark.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
It must be said that the picture quality is far superior, i was surprised how stark the difference is with SD. However, I shall stick with SD for now - Sky ALWAYS reduce subs for new services to the levels of the previous services (give and take sub rises) eventually.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I don't agree that OTA picture quality is 'far superior'. I've seen several demos and I don't think there's much (if anything) between HD and SD on good quality CRT TV such as Philips with Pixel Plus.

Another contributing factor to the demise of Ondigital was the poor choice of encryption. Quite easily cracked as is a certain channel on Freeview.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
jimbo said:
I don't agree that OTA picture quality is 'far superior'. I've seen several demos and I don't think there's much (if anything) between HD and SD on good quality CRT TV such as Philips with Pixel Plus.

You know, very few people will accept that for DVB in its SD form, the best picture will only ever be achieved via DVB-S, an RGB SCART and a decent CRT TV without 100Hz processing (or any other processing for that matter). In fact, its about the only time I might have to say having a SONY on the end of a digibox is about the best you will ever get. :D

I know its personal thing, but I won't listen to anyone challenge a Trinitron :-doh!

laisz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020Si,
85cm Dish
My Location
Switzerland
I voted no chance because i don't want to put any more money into this :-) The current setup and quality is more than enough for me.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Slighty OT - but has anyone purchased a Blur-ray DVD yet?

While the disc is the same size as a bog-standard DVD - I've heard that the packaging box is a totally different size and probably won't fit into that nice DVD cabinet you bought a couple of months back.

Moo.