Heads Up - Interstellar

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes I noticed that too. For someone who can't hear very well anyway (i.e. me), it's not very helpful... :(

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
Yes I noticed that too. For someone who can't hear very well anyway (i.e. me), it's not very helpful... :(
Tell me about it!! Even on ordinary tv the wife has to dictate to me whats going on!! What does help if you cup your hands and hold them behind your ears it definately makes a difference;)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
What does help if you cup your hands and hold them behind your ears it definately makes a difference

Maybe you need one of these.....

Ear trumpet.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I rely on subtitles generally.. or my trusty wireless headphones. Or hearing aids, which I hate.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Frivolity aside, my stepdaughter is profoundly deaf and taught herself to lip read. She received a cochlear implant a few years ago which vastly improved her hearing, though she still likes to use subtitles when watching the TV.

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
I rely on subtitles generally.. or my trusty wireless headphones. Or hearing aids, which I hate.
The trouble with me is it can be booming out but I still can't understand it. One to one I am ok but if there is a crowd talking thats it - I just smile and hope I say yes in the right place!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The trouble with me is it can be booming out but I still can't understand it. One to one I am ok but if there is a crowd talking thats it - I just smile and hope I say yes in the right place!
Yep..........one to one is fine but in a crowd it is like having your head in a beehive, it is impossible to determine which bee is buzzing loudest and what exactly they are saying, note to self....... must get my hearing tested again

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yep..........one to one is fine but in a crowd it is like having your head in a beehive, it is impossible to determine which bee is buzzing loudest and what exactly they are saying, note to self....... must get my hearing tested again

One of my early employments was repairing and cleaning hearing aids out in the public domain. This included calibration of the main thingumy in the large room at the end of the building, full of egg boxes stuck to the walls and ceilings.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
One Christmas present to myself later, (£4 from the local pawn shop) and meh.

Yes, very polished, the length didn't detract from the entertainment, and I could hear everything spoken through the headphones, but.......
it really wasn't that far removed from 2001 at all in terms of storyline, plus the special effects really haven't improved much in 45 years, however TARS was pretty good as the token robot though.

(It was only 20 minutes longer than Kubrick's btw)

I don't think I would have enjoyed it much more in the cinema to be honest.

Last edited:

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Got it on BluRay earlier this year. I struggled to hear much of the soundtrack, in fact I had to turn up the audio so much that it rattled the speakers when there were loud special effects. Maybe headphones would have helped. It does have 2001 overtones for sure but I quite enjoyed it...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Got it on BluRay earlier this year. I struggled to hear much of the soundtrack, in fact I had to turn up the audio so much that it rattled the speakers when there were loud special effects. Maybe headphones would have helped. It does have 2001 overtones for sure but I quite enjoyed it...

The church organ used by Hans Zimmer for the score would have been mainly to blame, moreso if you have Prologic/THX or a subwoofer.

One of the songs from the Sting album, Ten Summoner's Tales used a similar organ, the lp could only be played here on a brand new stylus.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I struggled to hear much of the soundtrack...
That would be down to Matthew McConaughey's mumbling American drawl. Quite the worst thing about the film.