Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
**sigh** Yes I know it's coming.

A huge shame. The best looking desktop, once you use the Classic view, and the best version of Office, without the stupid ribbons.

Maybe time to move to Linux? Dunno but it's a possibility.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I moved to Mac after seeing the pile of steaming poo that is Windows 8, though still stuck with Windows 7 on work laptop.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Still running XP here on my laptop. I've held off buying a new one until next year since it still runs smoothly even if it getting a bit old. Not looking forward to having to ditch some old software unless by some miracle it decides to work on Win8 (I've testing things on Win Vista & 7 and it doesn't work well).

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I have two of my computers running Windows7 (laptop and desktop, the latter cos it has a 64bit CPU and I couldn't be bothered looking for XP 64bit), but what used to be my desktop, which is soon to be a media server when I get round to buying a PSU for it, still has XP on it.... :)

And office 2003, I have that too on all three of my computers, so, yeah, doesn't matter if there's no support, cos it's not like they're actually doing much other than patching up the swiss cheese security flaws cos they forget that there's people out there a bit smarter than their programmers who don't bother testng for such flaws before releasing the software... :lol:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Linux is the way to go.

Now got Mint 15 Cinnamon on this Netbook and it is familiar in look and feel as compared to Win 7, but far more stable, secure and fast.

Most casual Windows users would take to it immediately.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Apparently Microsoft have finally realised they need a start button on W8 , so it's on its way in the next service pack.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im sticking with XP as long as the computer will actually keep booting. I absolutely detest Win 7/Office 2010 at work - and thats with admin permissions so I can bugger around with it to some degree to turn some of the crap off.

(Win 7 gets approximately the level of venom directed at it as the damned Vu+Duo sat box does - and gives me the same urge to belt the box with a big hammer......)

Win 8 is just really nasty - they dropped the ball big time with that one.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Win 8 has some advantages >>>> A neighbour whose PC(s) I've reluctantly "looked after" for some years wanted some help with his new Win 8 machine recently and I could honestly say without pangs of conscience or remorse "Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea"!

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Tivù said:
Linux is the way to go.

Now got Mint 15 Cinnamon on this Netbook and it is familiar in look and feel as compared to Win 7, but far more stable, secure and fast.

Most casual Windows users would take to it immediately.
Agree wholeheartedly,i'm using Linux Mint, its very easy to use.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I have tried many, many Linux distros and, while I am generally a geek, I didn't find any of them to be particularly pleasant to use. Last one I tried was Ubuntu 10 and it was "OK" - they all seem to feel like the whole interface is a huge Java applet! For UI, I *much* prefer OS X to Linux and to certain extent - Windows. No experience with Mint, though, so I am generalising here.

That said, I would never replace Linux for server side of things (web, FTP, VPN...) - without the UI. Solid as a rock and exactly what Unix/Linux was designed for.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Mint is really quite similar in everyday look and feel to Windows ................. only nicer and easier with less faffing about, vulnerabilities etc.

The latest is Mint 15 "Olivia" and it can be tried from a Live CD or Live USB stick.

I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
That said the Dell i run with xp and mint dual boot is the best of both worlds for me.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
I now have one computer with 5 linux distros on it (a quin boot I guess). Can't decide which to give the whole disk to.
I also installed Linux Mint 15 last night on the other computer, alongside Vista and replacing Mint 13.
I keep Vista only for i-Tunes and some satellite channel list programmes and updating my sat meter, otherwise it would be gone.
I am a 99.9% linux convert.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Just got Wine and Winetricks running on my Win7/Crunchbang/Mint multiboot >> If I can get MSMoney to run under Wine, then I shall do a clean install running Mint only.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, Crunchbang is still there ................. (I listed it between Win7 and Mint): Need that so I can play in peace then implement any "improvements" on SWMBO's Lappie which won't run anything but Crunchbang owing to Video Driver issues.

Edit: I see what you meant - no Crunchbang on the putative clean install. Well, as I cannot get MS Money to work in WINE (Just spent two hours trying!), the Triple Boot shall remain as it is.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, no longer!

I have found a fast, lean and highly effective Personal Finance Manager called Grisbi, which is available for many Linux flavours (including #! and Mint) and also for Windows, too.

So I now have no reason not to bin Windoze totally when the mood takes me.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I only wish I could say the same.