Height of Dish that Sky will install

mandik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD and broadband
My Location
uk
Hi Can anyone tell me if there is a maximum predetermined height that Sky engineers will install a dish at?
Thanks
Mandik

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome,

SHS installers normally only work upto guttering height. Their special height installation teams may offer non-standard installations.

mandik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD and broadband
My Location
uk
Thanks very much for such a quick reply. I have a dish installed at guttering height that needed moving to a different point on building but at same height because of trees in line of signal and after 3 months of problems have just been told that H&S regs have changed since Sky installed dish and its now too high for Sky to even look at??

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How high is your gutter, is it a 3 storey house and is it above the gutter?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
mandik said:
Thanks very much for such a quick reply. I have a dish installed at guttering height that needed moving to a different point on building but at same height because of trees in line of signal and after 3 months of problems have just been told that H&S regs have changed since Sky installed dish and its now too high for Sky to even look at??

The Work At Height Regs don't forbid installing Dishes at considerable height, they simply require suitable and appropriate safety precautions to be taken. That generally means it is more expensive for them in terms of manpower and equipment.

Sky could handle it if they were minded to, and they do have teams trained so to do. But they do have a restrictive Policy, nevertheless.

I worked in H&S Enforcement for many years and can tell you that "the rules" are often misinterpreted as a "get out clause". Sometimes through lack of understanding, but also due to disinclination (ie Deliberate misrepresentation and obfuscation to apparently excuse lack of action!).

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 9100 tm 1500 ci dm box 600 1 m dish polar mount 12 inc acuator v box 2 cas 3 dragon diablo gamma
My Location
england
i have done lots of jobs that sky special heights team have back heeled .... i have also got a one on tues to price, im sure theirs a few installers have done the same on here ... sky special heights lol ..makes you wonder if they do any work at all ... makes you wonder why their engineers carry cat roof ladders aswell ...they are a joke ... sorry im haveing a bad day can t stand prima donas.. us poor mugs have got to sort it out ...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
mandik said:

I thought that any install had to offer a minimum of one years tree/hedge growth, about 1.5 metres.

If this is truly down to plantation, then you are covered under their original installation warranty.

If your 'engineer' forgot to caluculate when your house was checked/fitted then you have reasonable claim against the original installer/installation team.

I trust you have kept that 'satisfactory' receipt you signed.

fred08

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
XP PC haupaugge 3000 Fixed astra 2 DVB dream
My Location
uk
My dish is on a pole just above the gutter height and needed the special install team. When it goes wrong it is the same, the normal team will not touch it. Which generally means a 4-6 week wait until they have a slot to repair it.

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 9100 tm 1500 ci dm box 600 1 m dish polar mount 12 inc acuator v box 2 cas 3 dragon diablo gamma
My Location
england
fred08 said:
My dish is on a pole just above the gutter height and needed the special install team. When it goes wrong it is the same, the normal team will not touch it. Which generally means a 4-6 week wait until they have a slot to repair it.

in my eyes thats to long for people ... they also been fitting then huge heavy steel offset masts with 2 small wall brackets to clear eaves or if they cant be bothered to throw the cable over the roof if dish has to go on back of the property on a terrace .... theses offset or cranked masts are such a eyesore and are very prone to moving in heavy winds ......its mainly all down to sky cause they just want as many installs as possible off their workers and fast ...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I've used the Raven universal mount on occasions. Quick and easy enough to install, looks no more of an eyesore than a TK fitting.

_http://www.raven.co.uk/satellite-products/documents/ClickherefortheRavenUniversalMountSpecSheet_000.pdf

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, have to say that I find the Raven offset mast much less obtrusive than the equivalent 18" or 24" t&K mount.

mandik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD and broadband
My Location
uk
Thanks to everyone for your replies; its as I thought Sky are just using the 'too high' card to fob me off as I have refused to accept their 'its nothing to do with us' response. The dish was fitted by Sky, on a short pole at gutter height on a two storey building, they happily came back last year and added additional wiring for multi-room but mysteriously this year it was far too high for their engineers to even think about looking at. It seems that the approach the engineers they sent which involved standing on the lawn with their arms folded whilst shaking the heads hasn't improved my picture quality at all! Never mind over to an independent engineer now and goodbye to Sky!
Thanks again everyone, wish I had discivered this site weeks ago!
Mandi

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
england
i still rather had a cradle on me chimley ..nice small straight mast . if possible , or if a terrace cable over the roof in a perfect world ..lads .. i supose its all down to choice but i like straight poles better ... than offset .. it may be just me but i think the offset carry on is rather ugly ..

D

deleted

The trouble with SKY is that the contractors take the cream and pay the subbys peanuts for installs so that is why we have head shakers when it comes to special heights. SKY want the subby to pay for any extra bracketry.

pay peanuts all you will get is monkeys

PS you are covered by sky for 12 months for bad installation , if this happens SKY take back the install from the subby

so i would not let them fob you off m8 Greed will be the downfall odf SKY