Hello any chance of a little help

signrik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
friends
My Location
lancashire uk
Hello I feel guilty about asking this aS i AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL I sold my shop to some tamil guys and they are struggling 3 bachalor boys they spent all there cash anyway they have a reciever and a card for hot bird which they can recieve a tamil station but no instructions of were to point the dish at and have asked for my help they are very friendly chaps and there mother will come and stay and cook etc if they can sort out the Tamil chanell
I have put about five dishes up in France for friends so I have a idea on how to do it, although all of mine were for the astra d I Think and I used the same elevation and azimuth but I have no idea what the angles are for the hotbird 13degrees I have a metre and compass and have searched on the internet for at least two hours with no joy
I dont suppose anyone could give me the angles at all please thanks a lot signrik

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you can find Astra 1, then you just need to move the dish 6 degrees West and up a degree or so. :)

signrik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
friends
My Location
lancashire uk
Thank you very much for a helpful friendly reply I only wish I could put some input into here but being a nooby that is possible impossible
I set the astra up in france but the guys shop is in the uk lancashire you havent got an idea on the angles here have you
sorry to bother you
If not I will search for info on astra 1 which must be easier to find than hotbird 13

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go to www.smw.se and download the free calculator, you can input the local and satellite coordinates and it will give you the azimuth, elevation and skew measurements. :)

signrik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
friends
My Location
lancashire uk
Thank you again
what a good program
we are longtitude 3
latitude 54
I presume hotbird 13 east means 13 in the sat position
if this is all corect I have a azimuth of 167.7 and a elevation of 27.67
so will try it tomorrow
once again thank you very much the lads will be happy if we get there cheers

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
Hi signrik
As you are in the UK (Lancs) you need to put in -3 (3 degrees west) for your longitude in the SMW link.
That will give you an azimuth reading to hotbird of 160.48 and an elevation of 26.63. Azimuth reading is true and does not take into account that the compass points to magnetic north and not true north.
The elevation reading is the actual elevation of the satellite, if you have an offset dish the offset angle will have to be deducted from the look angle to get the angle that the dish will be at, see pic.
Parky

signrik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
friends
My Location
lancashire uk
thanks again I am so glad i looked at this before I set the dish
It might seem easy for you guys but It is quite daunting for a not too clever amateur and these lads should have paid a professional but when i say they are skint they are stony broke but that will change because it is a student shop and the studes are back
The joys of parabolas I used to have a motorcycle breakers and using headlamps without glass in we used tio light cigarettes with them and amaze the customers
I always thought that parabolic lenses could be put to more use as the sun is free
one of the best examples is the two sound parabolas at a sella field nuclear visitors centre , two huge parabolas set to point at each other set about 100 metres from each other and you can almost wisper in one and the person at the other one can hear you fantastic fun
Thanks again I am off to try to sort it