help a newbie to watch france2 and france3 in the UK

totof

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this satellite business.

I wish to be able to watch france 2 and france 3.

I have a dish (from previous house owner) with 2 LNBs. One is for SKY and the otehr was used to watch european channels.
For some reason my receiver (fortec lifetime ultra) does not allow me to see the channels I want. I get strong signal on hotbird 13E and astra 19E and can receive many channels. but not france 2 and france 3.
Did I get the wrong receiver ? Do I need decrypting hardware/software ?

Thanks in advance for posting.

laurent31

Reaction score
these channels are encrypted on both Satellites so you will need a mean to open them

totof

Reaction score
laurent31 said:
these channels are encrypted on both Satellites so you will need a mean to open them
Thanks laurent,

I guess I can't do that with my receiver as it has no CAM and no CI.
Is that correct ?
if I get a receiver with 2 CIs, what else would I need ?

phany

Reaction score
USE STARTRACK (WORLD IN BOX) RECEIVER,IT'S WORK FINE 5/5. EMAIL ME PHANY6UK*YAHOO.FR

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
totof said:
Thanks laurent,

I guess I can't do that with my receiver as it has no CAM and no CI.
Is that correct ?
if I get a receiver with 2 CIs, what else would I need ?
I have a receiver that you can load files to from a PC, which contain the necessary means of decoding the channels that you mention without the need for plastic cards. You get the files from various sites on internet. When the TV company changes the ke*ys or algorithm, you can download a new file, when it becomes available. Note that it is illegal in Europe to watch pay TV channels without paying. If interested I'll post a list of a few makes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The easiest way to watch France 2&3 is to point a dish at 5W and use an old analogue receiver to get the 6 main channels radiating off there. Find an old Echostar receiver, and you wont run into the SECAM problem of you ending up with b&w pictures.

scuttya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 2 60cm dish,Technomate 7750 2VA 2CI,Sky digibox & Zone1 dish.
My Location
uk
I have a old pace apollo reciever, would this do the job and overcome the SECAM issue or would I have to go with the model you have suggested?

Cheers
Scuttya

Analoguesat said:
The easiest way to watch France 2&3 is to point a dish at 5W and use an old analogue receiver to get the 6 main channels radiating off there. Find an old Echostar receiver, and you wont run into the SECAM problem of you ending up with b&w pictures.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dunno - I know the Echostar 3000 works ok as Ive got one.

If your telly is secam compatible it doesnt matter what you use - the tv will do the conversion for you.

tamazgha2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
My Location
tamazgha
Analoguesat said:

thats correct but you can use the digital receiver as well exept you dont get TF1 all the rest are ok

scuttya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Is there anything I can do with my receiver Technomate 7750 2VA 2CI to only get France 2/3/4/5 without having cards or having to subscribe to anything?

Scuttya

tamazgha2003 said:
thats correct but you can use the digital receiver as well exept you dont get TF1 all the rest are ok

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - point your dish at 5W and tune to 11591V 20000 2/3 You will be missing TF1 & M6

scuttya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Sorry to be a bit "dense" ,The 11591V bit I understand, where does the 20000 (Is this the symbol rate ?) and 2/3 (not a clue what this means ) come in?

Regards

Scuttya

Analoguesat said:
Yes - point your dish at 5W and tune to 11591V 20000 2/3 You will be missing TF1 & M6

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
20000 is indeed the symbol rate.
2/3 is the FEC (forward error correction) many new receivers dont show this - they just go and look at all the settings one at a time very quickly.

scuttya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Thanks for that, I have just purchased a Metronic motor for my dish,(Saves me going up and down a ladder,or so I thought !!) I am attaching it to a Zone2 dish, is there any problem doing this ,given the shape of the dish ? I had set it up as shown, but can only get Astra 19E, no others seem to be picked up, Ideally I am looking for atlantic bird 3 , but would like to have others also.

Regards

Scuttya

Analoguesat said:
20000 is indeed the symbol rate.
2/3 is the FEC (forward error correction) many new receivers dont show this - they just go and look at all the settings one at a time very quickly.

scuttya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
I seem to be lined up on Atlantic bird now, I did a transponder search and 11591V did not come up(Is this a digital frq or Analogue frq), I tried putting it in manually,with correct symbol rate,but still no joy.
Could it be that I am just not getting a good enough signal,I do live down a little hill,south is up the hill,I have a 80cm dish on a 3m pole,nice and plumb.
I know with digital terrestrial if the aerial is not fully lined up the search is short of channels,not sure if this is the case with satellite though.

Regards

Scuttya

Analoguesat said: