Help/advice needed- I am beyond my knowledge now.

Gregg

Reaction score
Hello.

When I moved into my house I noticed a big white dish with two LNB's on the side wall.
We got Sky Digital installed and during that I asked the engineer to remove the other dish- he said we should keep it because you can still get channels on it.

We did nothing about this, until I heard that some good title fights etc are shown on German TV and you can get these still on analogue.

To get it to work do I have to get hold of an analogue receiver and then tune it in?

Or is there more to it that that?

Thanks in advance.

Gregg.

P.S

The dish is on a different alignment to the digital one and there are two wires coming from it and into the house.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Gregg said:
Hello.

When I moved into my house I noticed a big white dish with two LNB's on the side wall.
We got Sky Digital installed and during that I asked the engineer to remove the other dish- he said we should keep it because you can still get channels on it.

We did nothing about this, until I heard that some good title fights etc are shown on German TV and you can get these still on analogue.

To get it to work do I have to get hold of an analogue receiver and then tune it in?

Or is there more to it that that?

Thanks in advance.

Gregg.

P.S

The dish is on a different alignment to the digital one and there are two wires coming from it and into the house.

Hi Gregg
Your dish is suitable for analogue or digital transmissions. As it has two LNB's, it is probable that it is set up for Astra 19E and Hotbird 13E.
There are very few analogue channels available now, so your best bet would be to get a digital receiver.
As you have two cables , your receiver will control the switching between the two satellites. Most receivers have this facility.

Llew

Gregg

Reaction score
Llew said:
Hi Gregg
Your dish is suitable for analogue or digital transmissions. As it has two LNB's, it is probable that it is set up for Astra 19E and Hotbird 13E.
There are very few analogue channels available now, so your best bet would be to get a digital receiver.
As you have two cables , a 'Diseqc' switch will be required which your receiver will control to be able to switch between the two satelliteLlew
I do have a spare Sky Digital box- when I plugged in the dish (one lead at a time) it said no signal received.

I looked at the signal menu and it said that there was a signal- but no quality and the other things were at zero.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Gregg said:
I do have a spare Sky Digital box- when I plugged in the dish (one lead at a time) it said no signal received.

I looked at the signal menu and it said that there was a signal- but no quality and the other things were at zero.

If the dish is aligned on satellites other than Astra 2 (Sky) you won't receive anything. Signal strength won't tell you much at the moment - signal quality is what you will be looking at. The Sky box is not paricularly suitable for receiving other satellite transmissions.
There are many other receivers you can buy if you want to receive channels other than UK ones.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
LLew,
Although not as good as a fta box, you can still use a sky digibox to receive transmissions from other satellites, especially astra1, and hotbird that have a good number of channels with 22000, and 27500 symbol rate.

PS. Of course.

Gregg

Reaction score
I have typed in frequencies- but still says no signal.

Where would I get one of these other recievers- and will they pick up European sports coverage etc?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
prof said:
LLew,
Although not as good as a fta box, you can still use a sky digibox to receive transmissions from other satellites, especially astra1, and hotbird that have a good number of channels with 22000, and 27500 symbol rate.

PS. Of course.

Of course Prof, point taken. It's just that the digibox is not really ideal for that purpose.

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
Llew said:
As you have two cables , your receiver will control the switching between the two satellites. Most receivers have this facility.
Is a diseqc switch needed as well?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
guiri said:
Is a diseqc switch needed as well?

Of course guiri - I was just giving some general information to Gregg on the basics. It can be confusing to someone without a clear idea of what else might be required.
Once he's decided on a receiver, I'm sure we can oblige with more info.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gregg said:
I have typed in frequencies- but still says no signal.

Where would I get one of these other recievers- and will they pick up European sports coverage etc?

To get a general idea of what receivers you can buy, see for instance 'What Satellite' magazine. Free to air' (FTA) receivers will enable you to watch unencrypted channels from Hotbird, Astra etc. (e.g. Eurosport German and Italian etc.)
Best to get one with 'CAMS' or card slots. You can then subscribe to the various channels that have European sports coverage. The main problem is obtaining the cards from these European providers.

Some people manage to 'hack' these providers, but I couldn't possibly comment on this...

Llew

Gregg

Reaction score
Cheers Fellas,

I will do exactly as you have advised, and when I hit the next brick wall, please be safe in the knowledge that I will be back for more of your help.

I have been offered a box from someone at work and am going to pick to up on Saturday, not sure how useful it will be, but you have to speculate to accumulate....

So again thanks for your time and help

Gregg

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
If you get hold of an analogue receiver, you can get free-to-air Eurosport with English audio on Astra 1. The digital Eurosport service unfortunately only has German audio.

yyz

Reaction score
i'm anewb had dirct and want to go dish its a dish pro 301 wiht oringial card what to i need to get started