help - after flash my motor seems confused

jimbo1969

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm7020 with motorised dish
My Location
uk
Hi,

Complete novice here - from nothing to Gemini (and now broken) in one week thanks to this board! Well - the 'broken' part is down to me - but thanks for the rest!!

Now, my problem. I have a motorised system which is a little 'confused'. The system was installed by a local sat guy who seemed to know what he was doing, so I think I have broken something between flashes...

I wonder if when I perform a flash or 'reset to factory' how the dish position is then calculated. As I now understand, the dish will not automatically move to its initial position (1degW) after power down or power off. So maybe when I flash or reset to factory I should be a bit more attentive to where the dish is currently pointing...

So after multiple 'reset to factory' attempts I now find that Sirius channels are listed in whichever satellite I first scan (when not using gotoXX). I think this means that this is the current position?? Does this mean that I can reset to factory and choose sirius as the first to scanand then can automatically find all others?

have been playing about with gotoXX and recalculate in the motor setup but it is not helping - in fact I reloaded my previous backup via dreamboxedit and selecting my old channels results in a 'no signal found' type message. (I suppose the settings are now corrupted)

I currently have gemini 2.5 installed but will try to use the latest enigma and gotoXX to see if that helps.

1. After a flash or a reset, what is the best way to locate a satellite, given that I currently assume the dish is correctly aligned but I have no idea where it is pointing.

2. The manual seems to recommend gotoXX for motorised setup - this was not setup by the sat-guy (He set 'Use motor input power - 40A' and unchecked gotoXX, then proceded to scan for some signals. If I flash the latest enigma image and select this function, does it matter where the dish is currently pointing?

3. As far as I understand, there is no identifier from the satellite which could be used to sync the dreambox and dish. (Unless this is what gotoXX is all about). Is this true?

My aspiration is to be able to get the DB to understand where the dish is currently pointing and then for it to be able to work out where everything else should be! (All without having to touch the dish!) If anyone can explain the motor config setup pages in slow-mo, I would highly appreciate it.

thanks again
j

jimbo1969

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm7020 with motorised dish
My Location
uk
mhku,

well, it works! Thanks for the pointer. As I am just starting out I have no issues to do this via manual scan - its helping me to learn how it all works.

I was a little confused though when I followed the instructions for atlantic bird and ended up with only 3 TV stations. Looking at the listings though I see a lot of the channels are either:

Phillipines (ok - did not expect these!)
Serbia (still too far?)
Secam - possibly not detectable as I have a PAL setup?

However, repeating the search with hotbird I just picked up 1795 services (TV=1144 services) - this seems more like it!!

thanks again

j

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I get 3 channels on 5W: GCPE1, GCPE2 and MCM Belgique...

:)

Atlantic was just an example. The "main" ones I watch are 28.2E, 19.2E, 13E and 30W.

Good Luck!

thedcman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
can someone please explain what doesandwhen do you tick the "us motor input power" and what does "Use gotoXX Function" actually mean on a D7020 ?.
i've read all the links but on my motorised set up and a stab motor i dont know if i meant to tick or untick the "use motor input power" box.